Travel to Newstead Wood from Welling/Bexleyheath

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DifficultChoice

Travel to Newstead Wood from Welling/Bexleyheath

Post by DifficultChoice »

Hi, we are currently exploring our options for our DD's grammar school, one of the options is Newstead Wood. We just want to know if any one's DD is travelling from Bexleyheath/Welling to Newstead and what is the experience is like? We have considered the amount of time it takes for the travel, that is not a problem as eventually we might move to Orpington.

Thanks in advance.
crazydaisy

Re: Travel to Newstead Wood from Welling/Bexleyheath

Post by crazydaisy »

It's a trade off between how much more you liked Newstead compared to much more local Bexley grammar schools I guess? We are in Eltham so have same dilemma. All I can say is that our elder daughter, now in yr 11 at Newstead, is so happy there we are putting it first on the CAF for our younger one. She has to leave at 7.15 and doesn't get home until 5 - but she's made 'train friends' as well as class friends and copes well. I think you just have to make sure they have a really peaceful weekend to rest from the early starts.
sandhyarani

Post by sandhyarani »

Hi,

We are in a similar situation. We are based in Bexleyheath & are exploring travel options from Bexleyheath to Newstead Wood. I am wondering if we could consider pooling together to ensure our children have a comfortable travel in safe company. Is anyone aware of any private coach / mini-coach service which operates on this route?
DifficultChoice

Post by DifficultChoice »

Thanks crazydaisy, that is very encouraging, most probably we will also go Newstead Wood. Currently we are thinking bus as mode of transport as there is no direct train from Bexleyheath/Welling line.
crazydaisy

Post by crazydaisy »

Sandharani- I rang Lewis travel, who run a minibus from Blackheath, a few years ago and they said they would consider it if the was enough interest - might be worth a phone call? It is nerve wracking sending them off on their own. One compromise is to drive them to the station after having done several practice journeys. The plus side, apart from the social one, is that they become very good at negotiating public transport. That's especially useful when they have school trips 'up town' and can come home independently. Of course, they have to have remembered/found their Oyster card ..... :roll:
sandhyarani

Post by sandhyarani »

Thanks crazydaisy,
I have called Lewis travel, but they said they don't run coach facility from Bexley. They run it from Croydon. I am trying to get in contact with Travel2school who run minibus from bexleyheath as per their website, but they have not yet contacted. :?