Bexley 11+ pass mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ronkevso

Bexley 11+ pass mark

Post by ronkevso »

Can anyone tell me roughly what percentage a student will need to pass the Bexley 11+?
sidcupparent

Re: Bexley 11+ pass mark

Post by sidcupparent »

It is difficult to tell - becuase it depends on the students; I think last year was 78 %
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

Thanks so much sidcupparent.How do you know this?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

On the school information page of this site it states '214 is the selective score. There are 786 places available in all four schools . The top 180 children with highest scores are guaranteed a place at their preferred school. The highest possible score is 280'. Thus 214 is 76%. That of course is an oversimplification as different weighting is given to different parts of the paper and the score is standardised so September borns will typically need to score a bit better than August borns. I also don't know if they change the pass mark like they do in Kent for example depending on how many sit the test and how easy/hard the cohort found the test.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PettswoodFiona wrote:On the school information page of this site it states '214 is the selective score. There are 786 places available in all four schools . The top 180 children with highest scores are guaranteed a place at their preferred school. The highest possible score is 280'. Thus 214 is 76%. That of course is an oversimplification as different weighting is given to different parts of the paper and the score is standardised so September borns will typically need to score a bit better than August borns. I also don't know if they change the pass mark like they do in Kent for example depending on how many sit the test and how easy/hard the cohort found the test.
Please...

A standardised score of 214 is not 76%! Or at least, it might be. Or 90% (unlikely, admittedly). Or 60%. It depends on the mean raw score and the standard deviation etc. What it isn't, though, is '214 / 280 = 76%'.

Search Stroller's posts for a good explanation - with diagrams - of what standardised scores represent. I've even had a go or two myself (admittedly without the diagrams) :) . What a standardised score tells you is what proportion of candidates, not raw marks, lie above and below it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

Thanks so much PettswoodFiona and Toadmum. This is all very interested and complicated. Just wanted to get an idea of pass marks .

Thanks so much
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Exactly Toadmum, hence I said my calculation was an oversimplification, but I was trying to explain how some people get to believe in such percentages.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

For a cem test a score of 214 is equivalent to APRROXIMATELY 55%. You tend not to need 70%+ to gain a GS place in a cem test. Remember in some places the average maths score is only 25%! Obviously super selectives and you will need 65-70%.
Check out vza's post.
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

Can anyone if it is true....cem exam is harder than gl....but is the passmark really 55%? How do u calcalute from a standardise score?
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

dwisdom wrote:Can anyone if it is true....cem exam is harder than gl....but is the passmark really 55%? How do u calcalute from a standardise score?
Re vza; sd score= (raw score% + 50.9) / 0.9864 - per paper
This is a guide only but gives you a fairly clear indication.