Places in Bexley grammars vs children deemed selective

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Alice73

Places in Bexley grammars vs children deemed selective

Post by Alice73 »

Can we count on gaining a place in grammar school in Bexley if my child is deemed selective? I know they garantee places for only best 180 children, and then apply schools' admission criteria. But I just wanted to know about the ratio of children who passed to places available. Are there always more children who passed than places available? We live outside Bexley, no senior siblings. If my child passes, and our chosen schools are oversubscribed, we will probably go on the waiting list. But does it ever move, or can we appeal then? I know it's too early to think about it but I would like to be psychologically prepared. :roll:
Alice
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Hi Alice

My daughter took the Bexley 11+ last year (we live in Bexley). My understanding is that more pupils will get a selective score than there are places.

Based on my experience from last year, I can tell you the following:

In my daughter's class, 1 child had a selective score, but had not put a grammar on their CAF . They were happy with their non-selective school ,but it did mean that they did not take up a selective place.

In the re-hab forum, there was one out of borough mum who had wanted Newstead Woods , her local school -but her daughter just missed the score for there, and despite an excellent Bexley score (not quite top 180), missed out on Townley Grammar due to distance and being too far down the list. It took a while, but she ended up with offers from both schools!

My daughter is at a Bexley grammar school and there are several out of borough children there.

So, yes the lists do move, hope this helps and good luck for today and tomorrow!
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

Thank you very much.
Alice
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now