215 is passmark - 249 is top 180

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

booellesmum

Re: 215 is passmark - 249 is top 180

Post by booellesmum »

Tolstoy - totally agree.
Shall we all set our kids a good example?
Be nice to each other, tolerant of each others views and at the end of the day if we disagree at least agree to differ!
year4mum

Post by year4mum »

Last edited by year4mum on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salsa

Post by salsa »

year4mum wrote:Apologies Memphis , my post must have been misconstrued in someway ?
If you read my first post here , it's my dd who only "just " passed - got 221 - it is other people who are saying to me that she could struggle - I think anyone who got pass mark deserves their place ( including my dd!!!) Was just trying to gauge some advice from people who have already been there as to whether there was any truth in the "she'll struggle as only just got pass mark " comments .

I was trying to give support / advice to the other poster - whose child did amazingly well - and say that I had heard of children who had been close to pass mark that got offered late offers to Townley , but I wasn't sure what marks they had achieved .

Apologies again if looks like I am boasting / not being supportive really wasn't my intention .
All children who passed are deemed grammar ready. Let's remember that there are so many reasons why a child may score more or less. Even high scorers can have a bad day.

The argument about children struggling does the rounds everywhere. Starting from the "highly tutored child" argument. I, personally, have not known anyone who has struggled and who had to leave the school. It is beginning to sound like a "myth" to me. A child, especially one entering adolescence, can struggle for all sorts of reasons. It is up to school and parents to make sure that they can recover and succeed.

Moreover, you will be surprised how many children there are in between 215 and 221. You can find out your child's rank by emailing Bexley Admissions.

Your daughter's levels sound amazing to me, so, do not worry.

Finally, another fact is that most of the top 180 do not take spaces at the Bexley schools. I gathered some information for the 2013 intake and at least 100 didn't take a space. Do remember that many children take exams at neighbouring authorities. One reason for doing so, is the fact that children may perform differently with different style tests or just differently on the day. If you live close to Bexley, you may be targeting Kent or Bromley as well. On top of that, the children may apply for bursaries or scholarships at independent schools. Of course there are those who would take it as a free mock.
theonly1

Post by theonly1 »

I respect you year4mum.Tolstoy well done for your post. Put things in perspective. Tension is high and we should all relax for our sakes. Good luck all.
scared-dad

Post by scared-dad »

I am new to this forum, is there any hope for 223 out of borough in bexley grammar school.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

As your score is outside the top 180, the school admission criteria will apply, this is usually distance. How far do you live from the school(s) you are interested in?
Essexyummum

Post by Essexyummum »

I'm confused. Did someone say their child is level 6 with a reading age of 15 and scored two hundred and twenty something? In that case what level are the two hundred and sixty somethings...GCSE?!!!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Essexyummum wrote:I'm confused. Did someone say their child is level 6 with a reading age of 15 and scored two hundred and twenty something? In that case what level are the two hundred and sixty somethings...GCSE?!!!
It's not only the level, but exam technique is also very important. To be assessed for SATS you have about 1 minute per question, as opposed to the average 27 seconds for a typical CEM test.
shajel

Post by shajel »

if you send an email to Bexley admission team- they will send the raw score and ranking - they send me within couple of days.