newstead results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

memphis

Re: newstead results

Post by memphis »

TopHat wrote:Still can't get answer to the question. We don't know this schools and area. We are new here and we will buy a house by the school we choose. I don't know anything about this schools or the system, we just come to the country 1 year ago and my girl score 256 and also is in top 180 in bexley and we expect top scores in Kent. We only Google this areas and chose them to sit the test. Also I google that NW ,tumbridge girls and dartford girls are the top 3 in this areas, I am asking some one to give me more reasons which one is best and give a 1,2 and 3 on this schools. My girl wanna be doctor or lawyer in Oxford or Cambridge. So which school would be the best for her from this 3.
Are there any grammar schools in the country you migrated from?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

There's a fair chance that whatever your DD says she wants to be at the age of 10 or 11, she will will have changed her mind by the time she needs to choose her A levels. I suspect you are saying on her behalf that 'she' wants to be something that you perceive to be the most desirable thing. Any child who got the scores that she did by her own ability and effort (rather than being coached to the test) has the potential to achieve whatever she wants. If sending your child to the school at the top of a league table is important to you, then just do it that way and I'm sure your DD will be happy with that school, knowing that by going there, she has made you happy.

Just a thought, but if you're so obsessed with league tables, didn't she sit the HBS exam?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

With such high scores and a parent who has already mapped out not one career but two it can't go wrong really, can it? If I were in your shoes I would not settle for anything less than Hogwarts.

Oh wait, I think we have a troll in the dungeons.
TopHat

Post by TopHat »

No there are not grammar schools in my country
Last edited by TopHat on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TopHat

Post by TopHat »

What's HBS
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

TopHat wrote:What's HBS
The Henrietta Barnett School in North London, Golders Green tube and then a bus ride, I believe. I can't believe you have looked at 'top schools' - or, for that matter, spent much time looking at this forum, without noticing it :lol: . It's so desirable that people put up with it not telling them whether their DD is actually eligible to be considered for a place until well after the closing date for state school applications, by running the second part of the entrance exam in January.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
TopHat

Post by TopHat »

Ok
Last edited by TopHat on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frr

Post by frr »

My daughter scored 220, with VR 111 and NVR 109. This is in the cut-off range 218-220 specified in the letter. My question is: What is the downside placing Newstead as a first choice with the local school, Bullers Wood, as second?
Maddiek

Post by Maddiek »

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. First of all, I want to thank everyone for their contributions. The informations posted here from parents are invaluable for those of us who had no clue about secondary school admission process, let alone 11 plus exams. Really thank you to all.

My daughter has passed Bexley and she has a score of 229 for Newstead Wood. I also put her down for Henrietta Barnett, it is far I know, but we will move closer if we have a good result, (still hoping). As every parent who would come to this forum, we want the best for our daughter, not necessary the best school, but a school where she will be challenged enough to use the best of her abilities, and at the same time where she will feel comfortable, and honestly it is hard for everyone to make that decision, whether our DC has passed the eleven plus or not.

If anyone has a DC in Bexley grammar, Newstead Wood or Townley grammar, do you mind sharing your experience? Negative or positive it will always help.

Thank you to all the parents who have been posting on this thread, valuable info.

To Tophat, I understand your dilemma and confusion, especially coming from abroad and not knowing the system over here. Well done to you and your daughter for your excellent results. It must not have been easy for both of you so congrats!! Please read again the comments of Pettswoodfiona and Toadmum. They were trying to give you some good advice. Now that you have checked the rankings of the school, if your choice is based on ranking, then according to my research and yours also, NW is the best (Please correct if I am wrong). If your daughter also like NW, she has very good marks, so she should be able to get in.

About school open days/evenings, you can still visit bexley grammar on Thursday (tomorrow) and Townley in the evening. Also check open days for dartford. I hope this helps.
hornetgirl

Post by hornetgirl »

Tophat,

It is difficult to frame your questions perfectly when in a new country and in a second language. So I do understand what you are trying to do. :)

Your daughter has done very well! A top 180 in Bexley and Kent and a score of 256 for Newstead is the sort of set of results that everybody on this forum is desperate for and as this is 'results week' everybody is very anxious and probably easy to upset. She has obviously worked very hard.

There are people on here whose have not been so successful and it is hard to read posts about children with high scores whose parents are worrying about which grammar to choose. If like me you have very little chance of any grammar it is even harder.

In answer to your original question, they are all good schools: but each will suit some children more than others. Newstead you have already seen, have you thought about perhaps calling the Kent and Bexley schools to go down for a look and get a feel for the place?

Anyway well done to your daughter, with that sort of hard work I am sure she will do well wherever she goes.