SEPT 2016 EXAM STRESS!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sobz70

SEPT 2016 EXAM STRESS!

Post by sobz70 »

Hi there everyone,
Any advice? We are aiming for Bexley, Kent and Newstead wood tests.
My daughter is capable but lacks focus, concentration and maturity due to being a summer born. Frustrated is not the word for me!!!
How can I encourage her- especially in english and verbal reasoning?!!
HELP!
PettswoodFiona

Re: SEPT 2016 EXAM STRESS!

Post by PettswoodFiona »

My DD just sat the exact same set of 3 exams and passed all. She is February so neither the oldest nor the youngest. However she wanted to do it. We had visited the schools and she was determined to sit them she was very self motivated. In Bexley weighting seems to be in favour of summer borns if that is any comfort. Key for Bexley is vocab. Key for Kent is speed. Key for Newstead is not being lulled into false sense of security by apparently 'easy' questions.

Start off with some easier tests to build up her confidence, just the Bond and Letts ten minutes and identify any types of questions that she struggles with. Work on Vocab, lots of reading generally. Make it fun with some lists of words that when put together can be blended e.g. foot ball and make it a fun competition. Synonyms - talk in real life and ask her to use different words for something at random points. It doesn't have to be a test.

Good luck and don't panic, but the key is really getting your DD to want to do it.
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

I was in your position a year ago...it is best to pay for some help. It is a fraction of the investment but worth it if u get in to a grammar school. Teaching your own child is not worth the risk....as a lot kids don't listen to their parents.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Thank you for your advice, Yes I have started her on tuition but it's a struggle making her do the homework. She saw all the grammar schools on open day this year and loved Newstead Wood- However I have told her that it is the hardest one and she needs to work hard. She says she wants to try it. But when it comes down to it I see that she doesnt complete her homework and lacks urgency. What are the best materials for us to practice with? Right now we are doing CGP CEM 10-11 maths, non verbal, verbal. Dipping into Exploring vocabulary book, first aid in English, GL verbal and Non verbal books, IPS verbal books. This is in addition to tutor's homework which consists of some maths questions, comprehension, cloze, antonyms, synonyms, and vocabulary- How can I make all this more organised and make sure that I cover everything as I feel that I cannot just depend on the tutor as it has to be me making sure that she gets everything done. It's hard as I work full time and she has three younger siblings to distract her. She is quite relaxed about it all. Which is good in a way as I don't want to pressure her too much. I would really appreciate advice on what strategy worked for the kids who passed all the tests that we will be doing. Thanks so much for the advice again- I am new to all this!
GeorgiaG

Post by GeorgiaG »

Hi there, my DD sat all three this year and passed comfortably (Bexley top 180, Kent with 400 score and NW around 15 points above past cut off). Although she was generally quite motivated, motivation tended to waver at the prospect of doing other (more pleasant) things after school or on weekends,. My advice would be to establish a routine (some time after dinner a couple of times a week for vocabulary work; weekend mornings... ) and try to stick to that. After a few weeks it will become a habit. The selection of materials you've got is pretty much what we did at home (no formal tuition) and in addition we used vocabulary cards. Never got to the end of the set, but what we did was quite useful. We also used VR papers as study materials, checking new words and writing them down. Lots of reading too.
Please ask if you have any specific questions.
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

If you are doing this - then you will be fine.

One other advice do plenty of mock exams
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

BTW check my post English topics that my tutor used to teach my child...just so you cover all the topics
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Tutored my 2 at home, first DD in top 180 Bexley, passed Kent and well placed for a place at Newstead. (now a few years ago)
Second DD, 2014, passed Bexley, but just outside top 180, Kent; high enough score for DGS as OCC did not bother with Newstead.

Started DIY tutoring around the Easter Holidays before the test. Done a few holiday courses in the summer but that was it as far as paid tuition goes. A tutor is not a guarantee to achieve a pass… I know plenty who had one and did not pass. Mocks are a complete waste of money in my opinion but everyone has to find a way that works for their child.

Don't stress please, it is far too early. Enjoy a stress free Christmas break!
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

depends if you have clever child...mine was average and hence needed extra help...also boys need extra help wrt to english
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Speedy recall of the times tables is an absolute must. Make sure you cover all the ground in Maths. There are many topics and the children need to be strong in them all, in particular fractions, percentages and algebra. In English, we worked very hard on the vocabulary (spellings and meanings) through extensive reading and did a lot of grammar. Reading also helps with the comprehension. Don't panic yet, be methodical, make a list of all the topics and go through them slowly and thoroughly. Do lots of practice papers towards the end.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now