St Olave's students petition to Nicky Morgan

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: St Olave's students petition to Nicky Morgan

Post by ToadMum »

It's not 400 in year 12 - unless they changed their PAN for sixth form entry, it will presumably be something like 80 at year 12, depending on how many the think will be staying on, to make the number up to 200. And yes, the head has said somewhere how many applications to join in year 12; I remember noticing it as it was actually fewer than apply to join DS2's school in Southend at that stage, so 500-ish, I think.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sun&Sky88

Post by Sun&Sky88 »

Their 6th Form is about 450 - from their website. Says they admit a substantial amount of students from other schools.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Going back to the petition for a moment - does anyone know how it was delivered to Nicky Morgan? I've just seen a link on a SATs-related thread (http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 33&t=47054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) suggesting that she will only read correspondence sent to her via an MP, otherwise it will be only one of the civil servants who will see a letter and reply to it.

I don't know whether the same rule applies to petitions or not, but this is what I've read following this link http://squirrelclass.edublogs.org/2016/ ... ky-morgan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Dear Squirrel Class – I used to work in Nicky Morgan’s department and I have a small suggestion to make about your excellent letter. Even though you have addressed it, absolutely correctly, to the Secretary of State herself, she will not read it unless it comes from an MP. Instead, you will get a reply from a civil servant to whom the job of responding to letters has been delegated. I know this because I used to write them.
You might want to do a little bit of an extra project and find out from the website of the House of Commons who your local MP is and send them a copy of your letter, requesting that they forward it to Nicky Morgan for her response. Then the Secretary of State, or at least Nick Gibb, the Education Minister, will have to read your letter and sign a response to you, via your MP.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
salsa

Post by salsa »

I don't know, but I notice that they sent it to their local MP too.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

salsa wrote:I don't know, but I notice that they sent it to their local MP too.
That's good; hopefully they asked the MP to send it on to Nicky Morgan if that's what needs to happen for her to read it.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hopefully some of the St Olave's parents are reading this thread. I will tell my friend, though.
GeorgiaG

Post by GeorgiaG »

It would be interesting to know how St Olave's requirements for 6th form entry (old and new) compare to those of other grammar schools (Newstead, the Bexley grammars and the Kent grammars). Newstead would be the nearest point of comparison, I imagine....
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

To stay on at NW you need 8 A*-B, so minimum 8 Bs. However you may need A grade in maths etc to be able to sit the A level, so 8Bs may not get you onto many courses!
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Chis & Sid are saying the following for students already at the school;

//
To join the Sixth Form all the following are to be achieved: • Seven A*-C passes at GCSE level (including English Language and Mathematics) • B grades in the subjects, if taken at GCSE level, which the student intends to study at AS level. • In the case of Mathematics, it will be necessary to achieve Grade A and pupils wishing to take the subject in the Sixth Form are required to pass a test. In the case of Further Mathematics it will be necessary to achieve Grade A* and pupils wishing to take the subject in the Sixth Form are required to pass a Test. • In the case of Science, it will be necessary to achieve at least Grade B in the Science GCSE you wish to study or at least Grade A in two of Core, Additional and Further Science. • It will also be necessary for applicants to obtain an average overall points score of at least 45, where an A* for a GCSE full course counts for 58 points, an A for 52 points, going down in 6 point intervals to a G for 16 points. For GCSE short courses an A* counts for 29 points, an A for 26 points moving down in 3 point intervals to a G for 8 points. This average is across all subjects taken (i.e. including any subjects over and above the minimum of 7 GCSEs constituting our basic entry requirement and any subjects which have been taken early).

//

I think those are fair to be honest.

I understand that there is an additional entry test for external candidates but I don't know how or what is being tested tbh. It is probably somewhere in the prospectus.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I know nothing about this & shouldn't be sticking my nose in, but isn't the point that the requirement have been changed, not that they are high (which they are), and that the students (and some teachers) were unaware of this, even ones who are halfway through their GCSE courses.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now