Newstead Wood - some notes from a new starter

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PettswoodFiona

Newstead Wood - some notes from a new starter

Post by PettswoodFiona »

With the open day tomorrow I thought I would post a few notes about the first few weeks that DD had experienced at the school. I was nervous this time last year as DD was about to sit the test and we'd heard lots of good about the school but also some things not so good. Parents on this forum were so helpful in helping us make the right choice.

Firstly DD is loving the school. She is still getting lost so if you end up with her as a guide tomorrow I hope you don't all get lost together!
The Head makes the school feel like a family with teachers, pupils and parents all pulling in the same direction. He may not be the best public speaker, but don't judge him on that, he is blessed with many other talents.
The girls are all supportive of each other, encouraging and thoughtful. They have a love of learning.
DD is enjoying her Latin class and hopes to take Latin and Mandarin as twighlight courses from Y8.
She has joined the history club and will be auditioning next month for the school production, there are lots of other clubs but she has things out of school too so she isn't overdoing it yet.
DD bounces home each evening loving school. This is a girl who was previously at an independent school that had all sorts of lovely facilities so puts things into extra perspective.

I hope you enjoy looking round and for those taking the test good luck. I am happy to answer questions either here or by pm.
memphis

Re: Newstead Wood - some notes from a new starter

Post by memphis »

How wonderful.

Will you also be at the open day tomorrow to answer any questions parents and prospective students may have about NW?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I am on tea and coffees from 9 until 10!
mamachuchu5

Post by mamachuchu5 »

Is it ok if I approach you for a chat tomorrow pls?!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

No problem.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

It would be great to meet you ! See you tomorrow. I am so nervous about the exam on the 30th. This is the school that my DD wants. It's very reassuring to me to hear your daughters view of her first few weeks there. I enjoyed Latin GCSE and A level myself at my comprehensive school (which was an ex grammar) I would love my daughter to have an opportunity to do the same subject. She absolutely loved Newstead wood when we saw it last year. She wants to see it again in the daytime.
bexbrom

Re: Newstead Wood - Latin

Post by bexbrom »

What is a twilight please?
I did Latin GCSE and as a doctor have found it useful. My DD is greek and roman myths mad - and was hoping to do both of these.
I wonder why they have dropped it? Do you think it will come back on the curriculum?
Thanks B
ToadMum

Re: Newstead Wood - Latin

Post by ToadMum »

bexbrom wrote:What is a twilight please?
I did Latin GCSE and as a doctor have found it useful. My DD is greek and roman myths mad - and was hoping to do both of these.
I wonder why they have dropped it? Do you think it will come back on the curriculum?
Thanks B
Not in your area, but can answer re 'twilight' classes - they are ones which are held outside the normal teaching hours. Usually after school (hence the name), but could possibly be during lunchtime.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Exactly TM - The school are not allowed to charge for learning during core lesson times. However a way to extend the curriculum at no cost to the school is to offer classes run at lunchtime and after school. Much as you might pay for after school tennis coaching Newstead offer Mandarin, Latin, Japanese & Dance in this way. I appreciate it is controversial in that those who can’t afford it may not have such easy access to those options. At Newstead each option involves one lunchtime and one after school slot each week.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

bexbrom - my DD is alumni. They have not offered Latin A Level since 2012 when they had only 2. They did not offer Greek. Yrs 7 and 8 did follow Latin during core hours but I hear this has been dropped now to save money. They still have the Latin Twilight which costs £200 but does lead to an early GCSE in year 10 and is taught by a lovely retired ex-deputy head.