Newstead

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

miminz

Re: Newstead

Post by miminz »

Liddle wrote:
That is an amazing score! Well done to your daughter.

What books did you use when preparing her for her tests please?
Thank you Liddle.

As recommended by PettswoodFiona (she is the expert :) ),
My DD use Bond 10-minutes as practice everyday after school.
Test papers we use GL Assessment and also Letts.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

miminz wrote:
Liddle wrote:
That is an amazing score! Well done to your daughter.

What books did you use when preparing her for her tests please?
Thank you Liddle.

As recommended by PettswoodFiona (she is the expert :) ),
My DD use Bond 10-minutes as practice everyday after school.
Test papers we use GL Assessment and also Letts.
An amazing well done to your DD and I am so glad the advice worked. :D If you have any questions about the school do just ask!
miminz

Post by miminz »

PettswoodFiona wrote:
An amazing well done to your DD and I am so glad the advice worked. :D If you have any questions about the school do just ask!
Thank you PettswoodFiona. Will do, if I have any questions. :)
immigrantdad

Post by immigrantdad »

My DD was fortunate enough to get good scores for Kent and Newstead that it becomes her choice where she goes. We had been working on the assumption she would go to Newstead if she got in, as she got over 250 so that seems available, but she is now expressing a preference for Tonbridge Grammar (she got over 400, so again, should be possible).

Interestingly she missed out on the top 180 for Bexley, although only by a few marks.

Any thoughts on the relative pluses and minuses of Newstead vs Tonbridge? We live in Petts Wood so obviously travel is one, but with respect to the schools themselves?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

immigrantdad wrote:My DD was fortunate enough to get good scores for Kent and Newstead that it becomes her choice where she goes. We had been working on the assumption she would go to Newstead if she got in, as she got over 250 so that seems available, but she is now expressing a preference for Tonbridge Grammar (she got over 400, so again, should be possible).

Interestingly she missed out on the top 180 for Bexley, although only by a few marks.

Any thoughts on the relative pluses and minuses of Newstead vs Tonbridge? We live in Petts Wood so obviously travel is one, but with respect to the schools themselves?
Well done to your DD, those are some great scores. I really liked Tonbridge when I visited but DD is very happy at Newstead. We are also (not hard to work out from my name) in Petts Wood and although it wasn't the deciding factor, the journey was a put off for us even though it was relatively simple. I liked the idea of the IB which Tonbridge seem to do so well, but our thoughts were that if DD showed a suitability more for the IB than A Levels we can always change and for now just focus on upto 16. I don't have any personal experience of Tonbridge other than when we did the visits last year and a friend of a friend who chose the school who now looks on us with envy as her DD is very tired with the long days. It has been lovely for DD to be able to meet up with friends locally and when they had a half day just prior to the school open day a bunch of them went to Creams in Orpington High Street and had a really fun time. I appreciate you could still do that in Tonbridge as you can just get later trains etc but it just seems simpler and easier being closer to home and also inviting those girls who live further away to our house.
immigrantdad

Post by immigrantdad »

Thanks Fiona - I have read a little on this forum and you are clearly happy with the choice you have made for your DD. I hope I feel the same way in a years time.
As my wife said, if only we could choose both.
Yueling

Post by Yueling »

Dear all,

Congrats to all children who achieved a good score.

My DD has 227 for Newstead and living within 9 miles, not sure how likely that we will have offer on the offer day, could someone advise please?

Many thanks.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Yueling wrote:Dear all,

My DD has 227 for Newstead and living within 9 miles, not sure how likely that we will have offer on the offer day, could someone advise please?

Many thanks.
Well done to your DD and going by past years 227 would get an offer on offer day by a margin of a few points and is well above cut off. Rumours on the Kent forum are that scores needed for OOC Kent superselectives might be higher this year which could create a knock on effect for other schools.
Liddle

Post by Liddle »

Many thanks.
Well done to your daughter. I hope she gets a place in March.

My DD got 231. I live quite far but within the 9 mile radius. It'd take my DD over an hour and half to reach Newstead by public transport.

I am wondering if the Local Council give priority to the highest ranking candidates living closer to the school or if they'd send us an offer despite us being so far away. Though we'd move to the area if my daughter did get in.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Liddle wrote:

Many thanks.
Well done to your daughter. I hope she gets a place in March.

My DD got 231. I live quite far but within the 9 mile radius. It'd take my DD over an hour and half to reach Newstead by public transport.

I am wondering if the Local Council give priority to the highest ranking candidates living closer to the school or if they'd send us an offer despite us being so far away. Though we'd move to the area if my daughter did get in.
As long as you are in category 1 (within the 9 mile radius) you are treated the same as those closer to the school and it is all about the score. It is a great school but I'd think long and hard about that journey so yes do move closer. You will be fine with a score of 231. If you want any advice about nice places to live near the school do feel free to PM me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now