Advise on Beths Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

unicone338

Advise on Beths Grammar School

Post by unicone338 »

Hello, I am new to the forum. I would like to know more about Beths Grammar School. I've been to the open evening and was not seeing much on that. Is it a good grammar school. I am still thinking to put it on the CAF form or not as we are out of catchment. There is no good school near us :( . My son needs to travel an hour to Beths if get accepted :roll: . Would like to have some advise. Thanks! :D
candy floss

Re: Advise on Beths Grammar School

Post by candy floss »

Hi. My son is in year 8 at Beths and he loves it there. We knew it was the right school for him when we went to the open day, and if i'm honest, we were completely bowled over by the school and its students. I have no regrets at all about him attending Beths. He travels to school by train, as do numerous other boys from that school. As to whether it is a good school or not, the question you really need to ask yourself is whether the school would suit your son. All grammars are good but undoubtedly all very different, and what is good for one child, may not suit another child.
YogaMan

Post by YogaMan »

Just some word of caution..... 1 hour commute sounds like you might be some distance away if using transport. unless you are thinking your DS will walk then obviously not the same. make sure you check your home is within at least the distance of furthest child from previous years. The 2016/17 Bexley brochures will have this.
fleurdelacourt

Post by fleurdelacourt »

not sure you'd get in if you're a one hour commute away? unless you're top 180?

the Beths catchment only went out about 5 miles for Sept 2016 entry
lefol

Post by lefol »

I thought they go much further than that? Worth checking the Bexley admissions booklet.
fleurdelacourt

Post by fleurdelacourt »

Have just double checked.

My friend got a last minute place for Beths (just days before term started) and she lives around 5.9 miles from Beths - a 20 minute train journey. The previous year, the published distance (as at june) was 5.7 miles. So clearly it's not going to suddenly leap up to allow a one hour train journey in?
unicone338

Post by unicone338 »

Thank you for all the helpful information. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now