Calling all St Olaves parents for advise please!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

salsa

Re: Calling all St Olaves parents for advise please!!!

Post by salsa »

PettswoodFiona wrote:I apologise but I do also strongly feel we need to learn from each other and repeating mistakes is not going to help our children either. I ignore most errors and thank those that ignore mine, but the poster had some great comments that were getting lost in the translation and my clumsy effort at encouraging something clearer was expressed poorly. I have contributed a lot to this site but as requested will now bow out. Wishing you all the best.
No need to go. I think you make a good contribution and I think this is a very good apology which I hope gets accepted.

Salsa
lefol

Post by lefol »

Hi Pettwswood Fiona,

Please don't go! Yes, your comments were harsh as we sometimes type without checking and no need to, but you have since apologised and I guess the OP accepts the apology. If you leave, you will simply become a lurker! So please do stay!
hanaF

Post by hanaF »

Agree with salsa and lefol, don't go PettswoodFiona, you've helped us a lot!

Back to the original post, thank you all who have shared their experiences at the school. It has certainly helped our decisions. I agree with OP and other posters that we should look beyond league tables and stunning facilities, instead, focus on teaching and pastoral care. One has to visit several different schools and trust your child's gut instinct. In our case, DS felt at home immediately with his now first preference school. We didn't think about it much before the results, as we weren't keen on compulsory rugby, but DS loved the school so much that he didn't mind Saturday practice for half a term; in the open evening, our extremely shy boy was willing to come out of his shell and engaged in the activities on offer, something that he didn't do at Olave's or any other open days. I couldn't help smiling. We still have high regards for Olave's, but it just didn't have that instant 'click' to make it our top choice.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Yes my guess is you are referring to DGS. The open evening was packed but well organised with a lot to engage the children especially at the Becket Centre with the sports on offer. I also never knew boys liked Food Tech! Sadly, I doubt we will qualify in scores but we have a few other options which DS prefers .
memphis

Post by memphis »

PettswoodFiona wrote:
11_plus wrote:Hello All,
After visiting all the schools, we've made a consensus decision. I wud urge all the parents who're in the same boat as me to consider following criteria:

1. Commutation- Its very important how much time a child is spending on commuting to & fro. There will be several clubs after school & on saturdays. Bear in mind!

2. Funding- As most of the parents must be aware of cuts in Education. IFS forecasts fall in spending of 7% per pupil in England by 2020. This was a major factor in our decision. Try to research the school about its funding status & future developments plans.

3. Facilities- Mostly all the schools are good but I go for the one which has good facilities. Anybody visiting the school can sense the facilities.

4.Gut Instinct - Pls pls don't go by the league tables because A levels doesn't always reflect the true picture. A school may be better fit for one child but not for other. Go by ur gut instinct & listen to ur child. At the end of the day, he/she shd be happy.

5. Pastoral care- Last but not the least Pastoral care. A child is going to spend good 7 years of his/her life, research about the pastoral care of the school well. Very significant factor according to me.

Thanks everyone for their feedback on the school. Helped me a lot!! Hope this helps some of the parents :)
I am delighted that you have come to a decision.

I would put facilities bottom of my list, it is a subjective matter so I appreciate for some it will be a more important factor. Facilities are not irrelevant but I would highlight that we looked at a school for DD, it had lovely buildings, lots of extra curricular activities, it had a swimming pool etc - but the teaching was atrocious. Extra curricular and sports you can do out of school.

I would add to your list the very very important 'quality of teaching'. Some schools have a higher proportion of NQTs which in themselves are not bad, some can be quite good, however some will not have the relevant experience. Too many NQTs in one school will use up valuable experienced staff time in supporting their development. Some schools have poor management that leads to them either not paying for experienced staff, experienced staff leaving or the management team being ineffective in wheedling out poor quality teaching.

p.s. Commutation = transferring, usually in context of a judicial sentence or can be about pensions, it isn't anything to do with journey times.
p.p.s I am sure you will be good enough to hang around on this forum once your DS starts school and share your experience. However I am sorry but I really am struggling with the language and grammar on your posts and would gently suggest that people are more inclined to take advice or suggestions from someone who takes the time to use correct grammar and full spellings.
I too find your post, and all your other 500 + posts on here and on several other forums, rather patronising.

The op was being very helpful, and it didn't matter how he/she articulated his/her thoughts because the intention and overall tone was positive, encouraging and not in the least patronising. And I liked it. It's much nicer to read than the ones that come from the poster who constantly and repetitively brag about how her dd have passed with "more than flying colours" under the pretence of "being helpful".

Other parents on here have worked just as hard as you have, and have successfully gotten their children into grammar schools. In fact, some got 2, even 3 children into superselectives. Ta-daaahh!!

However, what makes them very different to you is this: instead of constantly boasting on here, they are completely humbled and grateful for their achievements. They don't feel the urge to need come on here or hog other online forums to show off and overshare everything.

Also, has it ever occurred to you that here are many other parents whose dc's have not passed the exams? If so, please be mindful when posting.

There's no criteria as to who is "good enough" to stay and contribute. How absurd. There is however, a very big difference between contributing and bragging.

Ps: Are you the new PR & Marketing officer for NW? You're doing a fantastic job!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Memphis....that is out of order. FW apologised - and very gracefully - and her posts are extremely well thought, meaning and helpful. Sticking the boot in after the event has been done and dusted and moved on and your comments appear to be bragging by stealth.
memphis

Post by memphis »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Memphis....that is out of order. FW apologised - and very gracefully - and her posts are extremely well thought, meaning and helpful. Sticking the boot in after the event has been done and dusted and moved on and your comments appear to be bragging by stealth.
I've only just seen her post this morning. Unlike her I don't log on here 24/7. Also, I referred to all her previous posts, not just this one.
Last edited by memphis on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Please refrain from personal attacks on other posters. They are real people with real feelings.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Again, out of order, Memphis. If FW was as bad as you are attempting to make out, the mods would constantly be monitoring her or banning her. As you rightly point out, she has made hundreds of very useful post (my words). Her choice of phraseology in this case was slightly clumsy but came from a very good place - the original, unedited post (which assumedly you didn't see either) was difficult to read but conveyed some heartfelt thoughts that FW wanted everyone to easily access.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Etienne wrote:
I'm very surprised the moderators haven't interjected.
Moderators don't read every post. There isn't enough time!
No one has reported this thread. I've just come across it by chance.

Why doesn't everyone read the forum rules and FAQs?
After all, everyone agreed to them when registering.
They deal with text speak, what to do if you object to someone else's posts, etc., etc.

There is a big sign at the top of the Bexley & Bromley page:
    • FORUM RULES: Please see the revised forum rules here.
      Participation in the forum implies full and unconditional acceptance of all the rules and guidance.
      Do not post unless you are in agreement with the rules and guidance
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ?f=9&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... um_faq.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peace! :)
Sound advice as ever from Etienne. Comments on how best to get a point across, with the acknowledgement of the poster's help/contribution and a subsequent apology, as opposed to personal and targeted attacks? Easy choice.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now