Results, when to start preparing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dani*

Results, when to start preparing?

Post by dani* »

Hi,

Does anyone know if the 11+ pass results for Bexley schools are published? My daughter's school had a very poor pass rate. It would be interesting to see what other primary schools in Sidcup have achieved. My daughter is going to year 4 next September, we still have time to prepare but her school only managed to get 10 out of 60 to pass!
Considering that the test are now going to be taken early Sept. I don't want to start to late.

Thanks.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi Dani,

Have been trying to get this info myself but no joy. It's all very secretive!!! :wink:
dani*

Post by dani* »

Thanks.

Secretive is something our primary school does very well. :evil:
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Dani* I'm fairly certain that there are no published figures for 11+ pass rates in Bexley, though they would make very interesting reading! 10 out of 60 is quite good. We had 3 out of 75 this year and 1 last year!! But I know some other schools where a quarter to a third of children regularly pass. If you look through the rest of this forum, you will see that few schools concern themselves with the 11+. Officially primary schools are not allowed to teach to these tests (although I hear that unofficially some schools do...). It's pretty much up to parents to make sure their children are prepared. But really, you have LOADS of time if your child is in year 3, especially now the tests in Bexley are only maths and VR. You just need to make sure your daughter keeps on top of her maths (very important as there are maths-type questions in VR too) and try to improve her vocabulary, play word games etc.

My third child is in year 4 so will do the Bexley 11+ in September 2009. I wouldn't really think about doing much with him until spring 2009. Though I have bought some of the early stage Bond VR books (age 9-10 I think) to dip into now and again if an opportunity presents itself (usually on long train journeys!)

Your daughter's probably too young to start doing the NFER practice papers (NFER sets the Bexley tests) but, be warned, there are currently only 4 maths and 4 VR NFER papers on sale so it's best to leave these until close to the actual tests to give your child a feel for the real thing.

Good luck!
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Our school's prospectus list the no of children who transferred to each secondary school in the year previous.

You can work out the number who took selective places, but of course there may be one or two who had a selective score, but hadn't opted to put a selective school on their CAF form for one reason or another.

Last year ,out of 90, at least one did not sit the 11+ (I know as he was in my child's class),20 or so went to selective schools and at least one had a selective score but went to a non-selective school.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Guess I'm in panic mode. We are about to move house. We will be about one mile from Blackfen school for girls, however wouldn't be surprised if Blackfen will start selecting by the time my daughter goes to secondary school. The alternative comprehensive is not an option. I would rather educate at home. Some of the independent primaries in Sidcup publish results, some have 100 pct pass rate. I find it frustrating that our local school has such a poor pass rate compared to the local independents.

I have bought the early VR fm Bond and a spelling book from AE publication. We occasionally get it out, not very often though. She is still only year 3 on the other hand it seems we can't depend on the school to get her to pass.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Dani, have sent you a pm.
mad mum2

Don't start too early!

Post by mad mum2 »

I started tutoring my DD six months before the tests. She was at a good level in both Maths and English, however I did start with the easier papers to give her the confidence needed and then gradually introduced Bond and NFER papers towards the end (2 months before). DD starts Townley in September. I do have friends that sent their children to tutors from year 4, by the time they were ready to take the tests they were so fed up with test papers and so nervous they didn't do as well as they might have done with a little less pressure!
traceyanne

Post by traceyanne »

Hi my dd starts townly in sept too. Does your dd know any others starting then? So far we haven't found anyone we know going there yet and she's feeling a little worried. Much as i tell her there will be plenty like her I think she could do with some proof!