age standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crystale

age standardisation

Post by crystale »

Can anybody please help me? I am a parent who is seeking immediate advice. My Daughter took the Sutton Coldfield Grammar School For Girls test and after age standardisation she recieved a score of 321. My daughter was 10 years 11 months and 3 weeks old at the time of the test.
After recieving her results I contacted the LEA who adviced me that she was fourth on the waiting list. My belief is that if marks weren't deducted due to her age she would have been guaranteed a place. I am very dissapointed with this especially because she was born premature. Is there anything that i can do in regards to this? Please offer your help.
C. ROBINSON
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Hi,

don't know if you meant to post in the Birmingham section, but points aren't actually deducted from anyone, but standardisation can mean points are added to the scores of younger children . The younger the child, the more points they may gain.

Fourth on the waiting list sounds quite high, so hopefully your daughter will still get a place

Good luck !
crystale

age standardisation

Post by crystale »

Thank you very much for your reply. Your response has helped me to understand age standardisation abit more and to feel a bit more confident. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
C. ROBINSON
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

standardisation is a way of comparing a child's mark to children of the same age and children taking that test. It is fairer than jsut taking raw scores. It is worked out statistically (I've forgotten the formula now!) so it's not just taking or adding marks to their total. It is the fairest way!
crystale

age standardisation

Post by crystale »

I am not disputing that it's not fair, my concern is for children who are born premature. My daughter was born over 10 weeks premature and I believe that something should be set in place for such children.

Thank you for responding.
C. ROBINSON