Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College lewisham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nicemum

Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College lewisham

Post by nicemum »

I know that there is no a location for any London schools on this forum. please could i ask this. The admission criteria for this sch has changed due it becoming academy and also its recent take over of the Monsoon primary school - local sate primary with a ailing results in comparison to others. the school now takes all year six from its primary school each year.

1. what hope is there for those who do not live nearby but are prepared to sit the non verbal test and apply also under the music ability. i live in bromley. this would have been one of the choices for my child who is still in year 3 and 4. i guess i might just have to wait and see what their results are for the year 11+ 2009 and 2010 - maybe

2. would the standard of the school now drop as they are not really in effect at lot selective any more as they absorb all the year six from their primary sch. these do not sit any test the primary school selection is based on distance from sch and sibling etc, like other primary school.

The College has now merged with Monson Primay School to become a 3 – 18 Academy.

Students in Year 6 as from September 2008 have automatic entry into Year 7 of the Secondary School.

With the admission of students in Year 6 at the Primary School the College will admit up to 208 students in total.

any thoughts on this please
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

Hi - i nearly went there as a kid but i was a band 1a and didn't get in :(

Good school. I know the HoD Music very well and i know one or two other teachers from there too.

I am sorry i don't know about admissions tho :(
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

i have friends whose kids went there and they lived in Catford :)
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham, as I'm sure you'll know Nicemum, is one of the most oversubscribed schools in the country with 11 applications per place last year.

I'd wait for the dust to settle; you still have plenty of time, and the admissions process may well change even more over the next 2 years.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

I would strongly recommend that you visit the school on their open day and form your own opinion. I think it is very over-rated and I found it extremely complacent. My two older sons sat the entrance test 4 and 2 years ago and I can only describe the occasion as a complete scrum! (I don't know whether they got in as we put Aske's as a sixth choice and they both got into their first choice out of borough.) I'm sure that other people will have more positive experiences but I would just urge caution in believing all the hype.
Jiff

Re: Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College lewisham

Post by Jiff »

Not quite sure how the above post has appeared again. My oldest son is now in the lower sixth so it must be 6 and 4 years ago that I last visited Aske's. I would still suggest visiting and making your own mind up though.
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

Thanks all for you kind words - woulld visit and do more research.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Good luck nicemum in whatever you decide.