St Olaves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2childmum

St Olaves

Post by 2childmum »

I know St Olaves is not in Bexley but there isn't a Bromley forum.

Having sat Bexley and Kent 11+ we now have to decide whether to try for St Olave's. I'm not optimistic DS will pass, especially as we have not used a tutor and the homework from school is quite heavy so there is not too much time to prepare - but if he decides to give it a go we will let him try, athough we ay not make it our first choice.

Does anyone have any experience of St Olave's?

The only thing I hear aboout it is that it is very pushy. Sometimes I think it would be good for my DS as up until now most things have come easily to him so he tends to collapse when he hits something he can't do. On the other hand I don't want shcool work to dominate every second of his waking life.

Any inside info or opinions would be gratefully received.

I'll post this in the kent forum too, in caser anyone there can help
Dilemma

Post by Dilemma »

Hi 2childmum

Just been reading through some old posts and found yours unanswered !

Did you decide to go for St Olaves test ? How did it go for your son? (Good I hope!)
Its a while before I go through all of this but i'd be interested to hear of your experience.

Was St Olaves recommended to you ? I presume you would only put them in to sit their test if the primary school gave you a recommendation, Is that how it works ? Or do you go by Kent/Bexley results?

Just trying to get a feel for what's out there and how the system works..... :?

Dilemma
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Hi - thanks for your answer. We didn't go in for the St Olave's test in the end, as our ds did very well in both Bexley (scoring in the top 180) and kent (scoring 420/420) so we had the choice of Beths grammar or Dartford Grammar and went for Beths as it is nearer.

The journey to St Olave's would have been very difficult (leaving at 7.10am) so we decided against it in the end.

The school felt that he had a good chance at St Olaves and having got his other results they may well have been right, although the tests are quite different. At the end of the day it is totally up to you whether you decide to try for any of the exams!
Dilemma

Post by Dilemma »

Hi 2childmum

Thanks for your reply and info,

Well done to your ds, he did fantastically well !

I definitely think that quality of life is important and leaving at 7.10 in the morning is no mean feat for an 11 year old. It would have made such a long day for him. Its definitely something to take into consideration.

Well good luck, i'm sure he'll have a brilliant time at Beths, and will do very well.

Best wishes
Dilemma
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now