gcse module results

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pensby

gcse module results

Post by Pensby »

My DD is sitting the first modules for her next year GCSE's in the sciences and maths this week -just wondered if anyone knows when they get the results -
do they have to wait till the full GCSE results come out?
thanks Pensby
KB

Post by KB »

When my DD did them two/three years ago they did have to wait till the August results day but would suggest you give the exams officer at the school a call as the timing/method of releasing the results seems to differ with schools.
Hope they go well
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They come on the same day as the GCSEs as they can be resat - so, in theory, some Y11s will be sitting these modules.

Some schools ask the pupils to wait until September as they have enough pupils to deal with on results day ...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Do the core science modules results come out as percentages?? I am confused - doesn't take a lot...
zee

Post by zee »

DS1 just finished year 10 having sat the first batch of science GCSE. The result he was given was an A* in science. When he does all the other modules next June, that should be converted to 3 individual GCSEs (one for each science).

What I don't know is how they average it out. For instance, having got a A* in a bit of each, if he flunked all the remaining biology (I hope not!) would it be pushed up by the earlier A*?
Bougalou

Module scores

Post by Bougalou »

I believe they are UMS (uniform mark scale) scores as for AS/A Levels.
Therefore mark has been scaled up to 100 in the case of the science GCSE modules. Hope this helps
Bouga
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

my sons results are all given as a % - so i have no idea what grade they are! - science modules.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

We were given an explanatory note with grade equivalents for my DS's individual science GCSE modules (AQA): 50-59=D; 60-69=C; 70-79=B; 80-89=A; 90+=A*. Not sure if it's different for other boards.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi thanks for the explanations - hadn't come across scores for GCSE / AS levels before - just expected to see grades! .... all new to me!
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Thank you, but ours are edexcel, so think the AQA will be different? have trawled the web and found nothing!