GCSE - remarking

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Just thought I would update this thead in case it helps anyone in similar position I have been to my daughters school today and they have been very helpful they recomend a resit instead of a remark with 7 marks below grade A. I intend to leave that decision for my daughter as it will be up to her to revise again alongside all her other GCSEs next summer. I am happy with her B!
murtagh

Post by murtagh »

My DS took his RE GCSE at the end of year 10 and was disappointed to get a C grade, he was hoping for higher, (athough IMHO it may have done us a favour and given him a kick up the rear end to get a little more revision done in year 11!). He found out that he was only one mark off a B grade so I sent him to the head of RE to ask for a remark. You'll note that this was off my own back, the school hadn't contacted us or given us any information on the option of remarking. He found out on Friday that he has been upgraded to a B which is fantastic and will really help with his grade averages for applying to 6th form. But I am cross that the school would have been happy to "let lie".
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

The school was very helpful in advising that we request a remark for DD's latin GCSE.She was 0.8 marks away from an A and the remark resulted in her raising her only grade B to an A so we were pleased with the result and the advice from the school. Raises the question though of why the marking was wrong in the first place though witha subject like latin.
zee

Post by zee »

magwich2 wrote:She was 0.8 marks away from an A... Raises the question though of why the marking was wrong in the first place
Whilst I'm glad she ended up with a better mark, no one is perfect, including examiners of subjects that have some subjective element. 0.8 of a mark is tiny (it just happened, unfortunately, to cross a grade boundary); the real scandal is those who get bumped up 2 or even 3 grades after a remark.