GCSE - remarking

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

overpeck

GCSE - remarking

Post by overpeck »

My daughter has taken GCSE English Lit a year early and has scored a B. I am a bit confused as she has told me that she would like it remarked. She was hoping to achieve an A as it is possible she would like to sit English Literature for A level. She tells me that she was 7 marks away from scoring A. Would any one be able to advise me if it is beneficial/advisable to get it remarked based on this information.
zee

Post by zee »

Would it be easier just to resit it, along with the others? (Isn't 7 marks actually quite a big gap?)
fm

Post by fm »

I would check. You may be too late for a re-mark. I would expect her teacher to advise on this, either way.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Wouldn't the school have sent it back for a remark if they thought it hadn't been marked correctly? I'm pretty sure that's what happens at my sons' school - I don't think it's left up to pupils to request a remark is it?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

In our case, yes. We found out once my son had gone back to school after the summer that his double science award BB was just a couple of marks away from AA. (This is two or three years ago now). No teacher spoke to him, it was a coincidence another pupil discovered this. We had to move really quickly to have it remarked and once this was done, he had another ten or so marks. One paper had been marked really badly. This changed his mark to AA, making a huge difference to his overall grades and his self esteem, I have to say. All the school said to us was that if the grade doesn't change, you lose your money :shock:
As it was we got our cheque back and my son was a very happy young man :lol:
Clare

Post by Clare »

I think you will have to request a remark.

The deadline I believe is 20th September but do not know if schools have their own deadline.

Does anyone know what happens if the remark is lower,which mark do they take?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

The lower one! That's the risk you take. I guess it depends on the school whether or not they ask for a remark or leave it to the student/parents.
My sons' GS doesn't need to be asked to request remarks if they think there's a chance of a better result - looks better in the league tables!
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Thanks for all the replies Bexley mum 2, Clare, LFH, Zee and fm.

Bexley mum 2 - interesting that you have been advised they take the lower one! I will check this out!

Clare - our deadline to the school is Wednesday that would tie in with the 20th September!

Zee - yes 7 marks may be a big gap I am going to enquire with the exam office at her school

I dont really want her to resit as I am quite happy with the B, but we may take this as an option depending on when the resit would be.

Once again thanks to this websit it is always good to get advice from other parents in similar situations!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

We have also been told that you can get marked down in a remark-it is in the standard info which comes with our GCSE results
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Thanks surreymum and also guest55 for pm