Help we're stuck with option choices

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
another mother

Post by another mother »

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but the one subject my DD regrets is RS - she wishes she'd done Latin instead.
You need to check which modules/courses are involved. She loves ethics and philosophy and does a lot of debating. she also wants to read English and was advised that this would be good background for that.
In reality it has been hugely about Judaism (one whole paper) We knew this but hadn't realised how the content would pan out. There is surprisingly little about OT stories -its much more about practice and rituals. Which is fine.. but not perhaps hugely relevant or even new given her many Jewish pals. and the Christianity course is only half ethics - which she enjoys but hasn't found hugely revealing.
If we had our time again I certainly would urge Latin - or even geog. The one good thing about RS is no coursework so it's all done and dusted in the exams. Check the board and what courses are offered.
another mother

Post by another mother »

ps She has loved history but then she always has, and will take it to A2. But it's a great discipline all round. DD also doing Art, which is a lot of work and time , but it has the advantage, as music has, of using a different part of your brain, which is a real plus in the GCSE slough of repetition! It will also leave her, and I hope (sentimentally) us, with a few rather lovely pieces! There is a lot of immediate joy and escape in music too.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed - important to look at modules involved - something that we never had the chance to do decades ago (then I suppose they weren't modular then ... but we didn;t really look at the syllabus either :wink: )
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

:? :? :? :?
Thanks everyone...
Am off to "Options eve" tonight.I am not sure it will help but DD wants to go so perhaps it will help.....or not :(
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

good point about looking a the syllabus.

Miss Yoyo ( at Girls School) did GCSE history this is her passion (now doing History degree) but it almost put her off. It was the English Country House, History of medicine and the Irish Question.

Master Yoyo at Boys Grammar did events leading up to First and second World War and their consequences. She was very jealous as that would have been her ideal course.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLAqoVr/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLAqoVr/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
katel

Post by katel »

I think if you can't choose, go for history. You learn so much about analytical thinking, questioning sources, motivation - it;s a brilliant subject that's relevant in all walks of life.

No how does my dd choose between music and art......
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

We have made our decision and music is for the chop.She often goes to the Music centre at lunch time and is in ensembles too.
So that's our decision.Don't know if it helps?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Think you did right CM.
Good luck to your DD. Our options evening is after half term - can hardly wait!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Amber wrote:Think you did right CM.
Good luck to your DD. Our options evening is after half term - can hardly wait!
thanks...let us know what you opt for. :D
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

So essentially, you’ve opted out of music because GCSE more or less duplicates DD’s grade work? Sounds very sensible to me.

Like Amber’s, ours is just after half term, will be interesting.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now