Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:07 am 

Hi all, another choices question my daughter is deciding what gcse options she should do and we have everything sorted except she doesn't want to do a language (french) but wants to do business studies her argument is that she feels she is more likely to get an a* for bs than french as she is more interested and doesn't like french and getting a*'s is more important. if we assume this is true then is this correct certainly when i have checked uni entrance requirements the number of a*s seems to be the crucial thing rather than wether they contain a language even oxbridge didn't stipulate a language at gcse, any input would be gratefully recieved??

Her other options are mainly "academic" history geography and music plus the usual sciences ict maths english etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:15 am 

Some universities are beginning to ask for a language at GCSE. UCL seem to be asking for a MFL for entry from 2012 and expect others will follow. A couple of friends of my sons have taken up language classes outside school for GCSE (as they dropped french at the end of year 9) for that very reason. I would certainly do your research very carefully before making that final decision.

Last edited by loulou on Sat May 29, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:23 am 

I think with universities havin so many applicants that they will start to increase the basic requirements - I think they are likely to start expecting MFL GCSE. Also useful if ever you do work in business to managing a smidgeon of french.... my dire O level french still comes in handy when booking hols etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:07 pm 

I think that many Universities are likely to introduce it as a requirement & even where it isn't 'official' they may see it as a 'gap' if its missing.

Might also close off some options of courses/career later on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:30 pm 

It certainly always used to be a requirement and I can understand the argument that it may come back again. I would certainly encourage my children to take one when their time comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:02 pm 

thanks for replies really helpful, have parents evening then options evening coming up and will decide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:29 pm 

apparently in french today dd's teacher said to everyone that UCL were insisting on french gcse and that probably other universities would be following suit - sounds like she might have been reading this thread :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:42 pm 

Would also add that business studies can be hard to get a high grade in as there is a certain technique to answering the questions, course work is fairly lengthy compared to French and it is regarded as a softer subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:05 am 

In a word: French.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:21 am 

Mais...le franςais! Bien sûr! :D