R.E Tutor

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tubby

R.E Tutor

Post by tubby »

l am desperately and urgently in need of a Good R.E Tutor for my son, i don't know why but he has a mental block with R.E, he said he does not like or get on with the teacher. He is prepared to spend the easter break revising, cause he wants to get a good grade quoting him. He is sitting for the exams in a few months time, problem is, he is a boarder.

l need a tutor for the easter break, just to touch on areas he has problems with.

I would be grateful for a PM, we are in Redbridge london.

Thanks All.
Amber

Post by Amber »

i don't know why but he has a mental block with R.E

Hmm...I doubt if he is alone in this!

Sorry to be flippant. If it is the short course RE (the 'half' GCSE) then a lot of it is very straightforward, almost commonsense stuff. Are you sure he needs a tutor? There is masses on the internet and if it is one of the usual exam boards, past papers are on the websites. I taught short course RE to a very middle ability pupil last year (I work 1-1 with students as part of my job) and she managed a C after studying for only a couple of months. I bet if you looked at it with your DS, you could do this yourself as well as any tutor could.

If it's not the short course, then OK, wait for your PMs!
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thanks for the reply, most appreciated. We just got a letter from school stating that we should consider him not to sitfor the exam this summer, b/c of poor coursework and mock performance, due to the fact that he might get a really poor grade, below C. :(

He still wants to sit, he is a A/B student in all other subjects, and has just been recently diagonised (not sure if it is the correct word) as slight dyslexic. He has extra time for exams.

He said, they have been told to revise for Judaism and christanity, am not sure if it is short or full course :oops: pls help, not sure what to do now.
Amber

Post by Amber »

OK, what year is your son in? If year 10, then it is likely to be the short course. If year 11, likely to be full GCSE (did he choose it as an option?). I think it is a bit much for the school to send a letter of this type - especially just as the holidays begin. If this were me, I would want to speak to a member of staff. If your son is getting high grades in other subjects, it sounds as though there could be an issue with the teaching of RE. If he has a good spread of GCSE exams coming up, in which he is likely to get high grades, then maybe it would not do any harm to give up the RE - but I would still want to know why an A grade student is struggling in RE: it is not so academic that you would expect an able student to struggle.

I am sorry not to be any more use - I can only say what I would do, which is speak to the school, very soon. You should not need to be in the position of looking for a tutor for RE if your son is coping with other subjects, notably English.
tubby

Post by tubby »

oh thanks, for your reply. He is in year 10, he does not like the teacher, and l quote him "he lectures not teach. We will contact the school, he might have to sit for the exam next year, l do not want to risk a D or E grade :( . I thank you again, you have been really helpful, am not sure how it will affect the other subjects, if he does not sit the R.E GCSE exam this year.
Amber

Post by Amber »

This is highly likely to be the short course half GCSE. Because RE is a compulsory subject, most schools make the children sit this exam. Some don't, and don't suffer for it. The only problem you might have is if he has opted to continue RE as a GCSE option in year 11. If not, he can drop it without a backward glance as it will have no impact.

That said, if he wants to do the exam, it is not known to be excessively challenging and I reckon you could coach him yourself with the right materials. I would still go and speak to the school - doesn't hurt to make a bit of noise in situations like this, done in the right way.

Hope this helps: good luck.
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thank you thank you. I will get my husband to read your post, he was a bit down after getting the letter, you don't know how helpful you have been. He is not taken R.E as a option.

Thank you again.
tubby

Re: R.E Tutor

Post by tubby »

DS got a C in the exams, he is not happy at all, :( he is in year 10, told him not to worry, that this is a wake up call for the other exams. l am not sure whether he should resit, or just concentrate on his gcse next year, really do not want a repeat of what happened today. :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now