11+ Maths/GCSE/A-LEVEL

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dd01

11+ Maths/GCSE/A-LEVEL

Post by dd01 »

My DS is 11 yrs old and he is in yr 6. Some people say if you score very high in 11+ maths when your in yr 6, then you should be able to get an A*.
My DS is scoring in 11+ maths 90%-98% which is very high.
Does anybody know whether that is true if your like this and does anybody know whether you can get an A at A-LEVEL if your like this?
KB

Post by KB »

TBH I think it is much too early to be able to predict GCSE or A level results when a child is in Year 6. So much can happen in those years.

I think everyone would agree that the scores you are quoting are very good & demonstrate a high ability in Maths. They are a great basis on which to build towards GCSE/A level exams.
KenR

Post by KenR »

There is limited correlation between performance in Maths at 11+ and later in GCSE and A level, but the link is not a strong as you might think because most Maths at 11+ is arithmetic not Maths.

Many mathematicians are not particularly good at arithmetic because it's boring
Amber

Post by Amber »

Agree with KB. Far too early to say - depends on so much, not least what your child is interested in. Big, big leap from 11+ to A level. A* at GCSE is not too difficult to get if you are reasonably able at Maths and work hard.

Controversially: why is this important to you when your son is only 11? He has a lot of living to do before he takes A Levels!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

DD1 got 98% for her Maths SAT, went on to get A* at GCSE and is now predicted A at A-level, BUT she did go through a phase of struggling, and was not in the "top set" for GCSE maths at her GS. What is more, just as her sister who is now in Y7 is also discovering, the SATs really do not differentiate at the top end of the scale. After all, there is no longer a level 6 to challenge the really able mathematicians. This means that a score of 100% can be attained by a genius or by someone who is simply very good at maths, and everything in between. Both girls therefore spent the first part of Y7 at GS languishing around the 60-65% range. A bit of a shock to the system, but possibly one that was needed! :wink:

So yes, in our experience it is possible, but still requires lots of hard work and is not automatic!
Marylou
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

re: maths and arithmetic..

My degree is quite maths based, I am renowned for not being able to add up!
KB

Post by KB »

My 3 DCs are all gifted at Maths & hopeless at adding up :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now