Which subjects are good for reluctant writers?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

Re: Which subjects are good for reluctant writers?

Post by Snowdrops »

I suppose it depends on which way you read Magwich's post. I thought she was advocating cheating myself, and I was quite shocked by it!
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think maybe Magwich was pointing out how easy it would be to cheat if you were so inclined. There are many ways of working the system, which are well-known; the exam boards are trying to address them (one reason why course work is going). This latter of course makes it even harder for home educators, who have to find a centre willing to allow their child to do the supervised assignments (ISAs) there. Another reason to contact the HEAS cam!
cam

Post by cam »

Thank you - Geology is a great idea (having surprised myself with an O level a million years ago), but sadly can only find the WJEC course which has coursework.
I've sent my cheque off to HEAS who I hope will give me some more ideas.
We already make good use of our fabulous County Music Service - thank you Warwickshire, so that bit is covered.
Many of the science exams seem to have a practical element which is obviously difficult out of school.
Any more ideas... please.
Cam
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I was certainly not advocating cheating in any way shape or form - the bare bones of the problem are spelt out in words of one syllable on " the student room" but it does seem ridiculous that cheating is so easy just so that one exam board can make so much money out of British taxpayers by providing such a lousy service. I think that the more such appalling cheating is exposed the better!
dinah

Post by dinah »

magwich2 wasn't advocating cheating at all -merely commenting on a fact which any parent with a computer could find out.It is a fact that where exams clash and pupils are held in isolation to take an exam in the afternoon that was taken by others in the morning , that if staff are not vigilant ,twitter provides the questions via a moblie phone.
Y

Post by Y »

I believe the IGCSEs are more accessible for home ed, because there isn't the 'controlled assessment' element. Would second an earlier poster's suggestion to look at the OU courses - they are ideally set up for self-learning, and take some of the puzzlement out of understanding 'What exactly is it I'm supposed to teach?' I've had extensive conversations (as a parent) with both AQA and OCR (but not Edexcel) and have found OCR staff to be unfailingly knowledgeable and helpful, always willing to find the answer to an obscure question. Contacting AQA has been painful, however; their staff are only able to read from the spec, something I'm capable of doing for myself. All other things being equal, you may wish to contact the different boards and see how knowledgeable and helpful their staff are before selecting one.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now