ICT at GCSE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
drummer

Re: ICT at GCSE

Post by drummer »

Belinda wrote:ICT GCSE is probably the first stepping stone for those who go on to ultimately make our online transactions safe, operate global networks etc whilst we may tap away on here without thinking about all those 0011010101010's.
My point is that it isn't. Maths is. In the same way that taking Law at GCSE or A level will not help (and in fact will even hinder) you getting on a good Law degree course
drummer

Post by drummer »

Minesatea wrote:DS is going to get a choice of GCSE ICT or GCSE computing. (I think he has to take one)

Does anyone know the difference and which would be most suitable for a very computer literate child?
Is this at a Grammar School?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

As I understand it, Computing is essentially computer programming. As such, it will be as relevant to future employment as learning riveting or boilermaking, both of which are so useful in our thriving shipbuilding industry. Wrong decade, wrong continent.

The programming element might (or might very well not) be interesting in its own right. I would grit my teeth and recommend ICT unless your son seriously wants to learn programming.

Mike
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

drummer wrote:who do you think it suitable for then? Any of the children who are really interested in ICT will be bored to tears and probably quite frustrated by the constraints and ought to be concentrating on their maths if they want an ICT related career.
When you say really interested in ICT what do you mean? My kids are not that interested in ICT, but they could have one with a bit more grounding for the future, to be honest

I think it is useful to study how to use all the different applications available. Yes it is easy enough to pick the basics up of any software application...but you never really get to know all the really useful things you can do - I have no experience of what an ICT GCSE is about, as none of my older ones took it. I think my youngest may well do it, as an extra, and I think that's really good. All my older children are really good on the social networking sites, e-mail and buying stuff on-line and probably word to be fair to them, but they would prefer not to use powerpoint, or other software they just haven't used all that much. One of them is now working, and having to navigate herself through excel and access and other things that are bog standard and can be quite tricky to use well and in complicated scenarios. I am not advocating dropping science for ICT, but if the school offers a short course or half GCSE or even a full blown one, it certainly shouldn't be a waste of time - and not just for the poorer students at a comp. The gs my older ones went to offered it, but none of them would do it as the lessons were in the lunch break.
SSM

Post by SSM »

My sons GS offers it, and my DS is currently taking it.

Like LFH I wouldn't recommend it instead of a science, or MFL but along with them I don't see what is wrong with GS pupils taking it.

I must admit, I do find it offensive when people suggest that certain GCSEs are acceptable for Comp pupils but not GS pupils.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Minesatea wrote:DS is going to get a choice of GCSE ICT or GCSE computing. (I think he has to take one)

Does anyone know the difference and which would be most suitable for a very computer literate child?
Is this at a Grammar School?

Yes - so?

Many years ago I took O level computer studies and loved the programming side of it and I suspect my DS would too. I admit that the hours I spent learning to programme my little zx spectrum have been no use to me in my current role in health care but sadly not all of us are sure of our future careers at 14 so keeping your options open for as long as possible is a good idea.

For my DS this subject will be one of (I think) 12 so I have no concerns at him missing out on other "better" options, but have found little information about GCSE computing. Fortunately he is still a year from decision time but if anyone has a DC taking it I would appreciate their thoughts.
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

I don't think they learn much about programming. DS in Y11 is doing it, not found it very challenging. They do 1/2 a GCSE in IT anyway at many schools. At 6th form evening, advice given was not to do it for A level if student tends to do stuff at home (mine do) as it is easy to show IT skills without exam passes, and other subjects more worthwhile. I'm not encouraging DS in Y9 to choose it.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

ICT is compulsory to GCSE at my daughter's grammar. Computing is an additional option. I don't think there is much overlap; ICT seems to deal with the use of application software, whilst Computing deals with the design of the hardware. I'm not sure if the latter also includes programming (i.e. writing rather than using software).

Of the two, I would think that Computing would be of more interest to a child with an interest in the technology.

For what it's worth, it is supposed to be easy to get a passing grade in ICT (B/C) but much harder to get the top grades (A*/A). Results at the school are pretty much in line with those in other subjects. So it's not the soft option some believe. Plus there is quite time consuming coursework.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

mike1880 wrote:As I understand it, Computing is essentially computer programming. As such, it will be as relevant to future employment as learning riveting or boilermaking, both of which are so useful in our thriving shipbuilding industry. Wrong decade, wrong continent.
This surprises me. Aren't computer programmers needed any more? Why not? Who does all the programming now?
drummer wrote:
muffinmonster wrote:
Don't hold back! :lol:
will the above do? :lol:
Yes indeed. :lol: I thought this might be an interesting thread, and I was right! Keep it coming.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

ICT is basically Information Communication Technology (in equal parts). Students usually use Microsoft Office and a few other programs. The most significant part is actually teaching English. At KS3 the ICT mostly stops at Level 4. Levels 5 upwards are almost entirely dependent on English skills. Basically, planning and evaluation, predicting changes and explaining choices.

Skills wise:
Excel = formula and basic functions (sum, max, min, average), chart wizard and general modelling skills.
Access = create, edit databases, queries and reports.
Publisher/Word = appropriate use for the right occasion. Headers, footers, business styles, how to construct good business letters, emails, memos, faxes, newsletters, flyers etc etc.
File management = proper use of folder structures, naming files, shortcuts, proper procedures such as backing up etc.

The above list looks extremely basic (and it is) but if these things are not taught then the students do not teach themselves properly. They acquire 'bad habits' and lack the ability to fully utilise their laptops at home (oh sorry, I forgot, they know how to use Facebook and Runescape to A level standard).

At my school, we have students coming in to year 12 from other schools where they have not studied ICT and their ability to use ICT to benefit their education is absolutely woeful. They do not know how to organise their folders, use headers, write letters, add up in a spreadsheet, have no idea of consistency and have never heard of chart wizard. I am being very serious and am not exaggerating when I say my 10 year old daughter has significantly more ICT knowledge and skill than these students. The point is that they fall behind students with ICT skills because everything takes them so much longer, and then they go and lose their work anyway and haven't backed up because no one told them to. Do they catch up... eventually, yes. However, it takes them a year or more and by then the damage is done.

So is ICT GCSE an easy non-subject of dubious quality ... Yes. However, it does teach students very valuable skills.
Does ICT need to be a GCSE... No. But the skills need to be taught.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now