Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:06 pm 

My daughter has to choose. I've looked at the exam board website history looks pretty bitty, though its hard to tell what options the school might choose to teach.

Have to say geography looks very interesting, topical themes, natural resources, development etc. plus field work. Is it as interesting as it looks?

(My favourate subject at school was history, though we did both - but looking at the website geography appears to be a better thought out syllabus.)

Child in question is keen on science but also very literate so I doubt that natural aptitude comes into it. Can't believe that choice of these subjects at GCSE closes any doors but could this be the case ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:47 pm 

If you have a look through this section of the forum there was a thread about History/Geography not long ago.

Re your other question - if DC has a good number of academic GCSEs I would choose the non -examined option & let them enjoy doing something for fun unles they need the motivation of an exam at the end of the course to stop them messing about in lessons or they have a natural talent and will be prepared to spend their 'down time' working on the portfolio.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:02 pm 

my son has loved geography and had great grades, but struggled with his history!