IGCSE options - advice needed

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
supertrex

IGCSE options - advice needed

Post by supertrex »

Hi all, I am new here :)

My son will be in year 10 (Remove) this September. He made the following choices:
- geog
- RS
- biology
- chemistry
- DT
- music
- maths, English (those are compulsory)

After the exam in Jun, he decided to give up chem, instead he chose classical civilisation, as he thought cc is easier than chem. In A level he said he wanted to study Bio, Music & cc

His teachers suggested him to study chem, together with biology, take classical civilisation and drop geography.

I feel the combination of bio, music and cc is a kind of strange coz it would limited his choices in entering universities. My son said he likes biology but not chemistry.

Plse give me some advice if he really decides cc, music and bio in A level, does he limit himself in making choices??

Thanks
moved

Re: IGCSE options - advice needed

Post by moved »

My initial reaction is that these choices would limit him. Can you not ask school? They already seem to have suggested one route. What does he want to read at university? If it is music then perhaps you could look up the requirements on the student room/ABRSM site/UCAS.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Does he know what he might want to do if he goes to uni? If so I would think he should look at the entry requirements for those courses. If he doesn't know, maybe best to stick with a combination that sounds logical - for example biology & chemistry are a good combination. I don't know anything about IGCSEs though!
scary mum
supertrex

Post by supertrex »

Have asked the school teacher. He recommended bio + chem, plus others.

This is a problem between interest and reality. It is difficult to balance. He has to think twice if he just take biology alone.

He said he wanted to study music, but he might change by the time he grows older. As parent I just want to avoid the possibility that he limits his choice at the end.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supertrex

Post by supertrex »

Belinda, thanks for your post.

I agreed with you: teenage keeps changing mind.

At the beginning for choosing subjects, he never said he wanted to study cc, and chem was in his list. Perhaps he didn't get good result in exam so he thought taking cc is better than chem. I am quite sure that he has no thought about his A level option yet.

Unless he is very determined to take music, or otherwise I will persuade him to think about chem or otherwise it's a bit silly doing that.

His teacher said if he takes music in uni, then okay to study DT, music & Bio in A2 coz most universities do not specifically requested which A level subjects he studies besides music.

I hope my understanding is correct.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The RS hasn't been mentioned - is this compulsory, if not can he drop that instead?
supertrex

Post by supertrex »

Minesatea,

RS, Maths & English are compulsory so I did not mentioned earlier.

:)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »