Certificate in Mathematics

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Certificate in Mathematics

Post by Guest55 »

Magwich2 - the most recent changes to GCSE Maths require a score of about 90% for an A* so it is not quite as easy as it was before.
If you have looked at the new specification for 2012 it has more challenge in the style of questions and the type of solutions needed to get high marks.
IGCSE only requires rote learning - so the GCSE is now a far better test of Mathematics.

May I ask why you regard controlled assessment as 'pesky'? It stops cheating so is a good improvement.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Why have "controlled assessment at all - just have a proper timed exam not marked by the child's teacher?
Actually I do know the answer to this question because I was told it by one of the edexcel subject managers. Its so that more children can be seen to get the 5 GCSEs including english and maths need for the governments statistics. In other words its much easier.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Controlled assessments are robust and the rules are very clear - inflating grades using controlled assesments is just not possible unless the examiner is accusing schools of cheating.

We ceratinly have specific parts of the network where work is stored and pupils cannot access the internet during the write-up sessions. It is like a test but there is some choice of the questions.

If controlled assessment is not like this at your children's school then you should be asking questions as coursework could be disallowed.
Last edited by Guest55 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I was not saying that cheating occurs but that the format of controlled assessments makes it easier for those who are weak at the subject to garner some marks.
Ialso believe what I was told by edexcel.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It certainly does not make the GCSE easier - why trust their point of view when others from Edexcel would strongly disagree?
mystery

Post by mystery »

For the uninitiated, what is "controlled assessment" in the new maths GCSE?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There isn't any coursework in Maths GCSE just in GCSE statistics.

In other subjects the coursework is done under test conditions at school - pupils can use PCs for the write-up but there are strict rules.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now