Psychology?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aliportico

Psychology?

Post by aliportico »

My dd is deciding between History and Psychology. She seems like she's probably going to go for History, but I can see she thinks the Psychology syllabus looks interesting! It also looks very straightforward (which is appealing to me!) - 100% exam assessment, no controlled assessments. I assume it is seen as a softer subject, but is it completely worthless?

I'm really not bothered about the EBacc - she is going to end up with a decent spread, I think - the usual English, Maths, Sciences, then RS, French, Spanish, Textiles hopefully, and whichever she decides out of these two.
aliportico

Re: Psychology?

Post by aliportico »

Lol, 65 of you opinionated bunch have looked at this and no one has any comment? That's funny :-)
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

I can see the appeal of going for a more straight forward course, especially with the testing procedures changing and there being no modules any longer.
Does she have any idea what she wants to do as a career at this stage?
I must admit, after dropping History at GCSE I would probably take that instead of the Psychology as I do feel that I am lacking in that area, please don't ask me anything about the Kings and Queens of England as I haven't a foggiest :oops:
Vic x
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

I think a lot of guests look who are not registered.

Sorry I don't really know much about Psychology as it is not a GCSE option at my daughter's school.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I am afraid it just brought up memories of Maureen Lipman as Beatie on the BT adverts saying "ology - you got an ology. The boy's a genius"

I think as long as you have the important ones in there then doing something that DC is interested in (and is not surfing or plotlines of Coronation St) would be good.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
succeed

Post by succeed »

Personally, I think your daughter is right to lean towards History. Many schools and colleges prefer, if not require, you to have studied it at GCSE when applying to take it at A Level; whereas teachers of psychology would be surprised if you have taken the subject at GCSE.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Thanks :-) I agree that History is probably better. It will be one of the Schools History Project GCSEs, so she would cover crime and punishment, protest, the Vietnam war and something else I can't remember - she's not really that into history, but when she saw the course she got much more interested! She would like (at the moment) to possibly do some variety of RS degree, and get into journalism somehow, so I think history would be useful in helping to provide a good general knowledge base.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now