Final Options Chosen

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sportsmum

Final Options Chosen

Post by Sportsmum »

With the first one it was so easy - but with the second, it has been a nightmare. Actually, nightmare is harsh - but it's most certainly been tough. The form went in this morning and now we wait to see if the timetabling works out. Walking is now proving difficult as it's not just my fingers that are crossed! Please let him have music and drama! PLEASE...
suzanne

Re: Final Options Chosen

Post by suzanne »

I hope the timetable works out for him.

My daughter has just chosen her options after much thought. She was worried about not doing a creative subject but finally decided to choose what she enjoys most and continue with her music outside of school. So she is hopefully going to be doing English Language & Literature, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French, Latin, History, Geography & Religious Studies. Lots of humanities! No IT and no creative subjects!
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

He has also chosen geography and french, as well as the other core subjects bring his total to 9 - he's not the World's greatest academic, but he loves his geography. The final two choices were the toughies as he spent hours - literally - deciding between Drama and PE. To be honest, he's still not sure between those two but music for him was a no-brainer. I'm so glad I don't have to go through this again just yet!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They are the first to have 'no modules' so I suspect that a creative option is a good idea as the controlled assessment will cut down the number od exams at the end.

I also think some schools may begin to reduce the numbers of GCSEs sat.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Thanks that's interesting.

The last choice was between RS and art - and she prefers RS so would have chosen art just so she was doing a creative one. In her school RS is 100% exam whereas Art is 40% exam and 60% coursework.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd's just about to chose her subjects - we have a parents' information evening tomorrow night. My dd already knows her choices, I just hope she gets them!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Me too, I expect though if we are not allowed to do what we want I will be cross. I have never been in the situation before where the school has the final decision.....I expect him to be doing Eng x 2, Science x 3, Maths, History, German, RE, Music and a DT ( this is the only one where I don't care :lol: ) I will report back :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why aren't YOU choosing?

Most school either use blocks where you pick one from each bloc or a free choice and then consruct the blocks. In my experience I have only ever heard of pupils not getting their choices when they were unsuitable and then, if the parent insists the school usually agrees.

Why might you not get what your child has chosen?
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

Some simply don't get them because of timetabling clashes. My DC1 didn't get their second option first choice as they simply couldn't timetable it not to clash with the first option choice.

The school explained the other evening that they collate all the option choices from the year's intake and go from there. In past years there simply hasn't been the take up of a certain subject and the course is no longer viable - 2 or 3 applicants for a GCSE subject does not a course make!!!

Actually I was secretly pleased that DC1 got RS instead of their first choice - so things do work out for the best - at least they do until the second one is unsuccessful!!!
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

At the options evening we were told in the last couple of years all 120 girls have not been disappointed and they managed to accommodate the choices. However, my daughter did have to put a reserve choice (art), and rank the choices in order of preference, just in case. I was hoping she would choose music but she doesn't want to - hopefully she will keep the music going outside school (although I can quite see that 11 subjects is a heavy workload).

Looking through the KS4 curriculum there are still quite a few subjects with controlled assessment / coursework. Eg: English Language OCR J355 controlled assessment 60%, English Lit 25%, Biology investigation 25%, Chemistry investigation 25%, physics investigation 25%, French writing controlled assessment 30%, Geography 25% controlled assessment same for history - seems only maths, Latin and RS is 100% exam.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now