Choices, choices ...

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

eloise

Choices, choices ...

Post by eloise »

Hi, DC had decided on his choices: RS, Geography, History along with the compulsory Sciences, Maths, English and Spanish. However, at parents evening the Latin teacher said he thinks DC should take Latin as the three humanities would not be needed, he recently scored quite highly in a test and Latin looks good on CVs.

Has anyone got views on this? And if he should drop one of his original subjects - which one should it be? (He likes them all equally). This has thrown us - thought all the decision making was over and done with but DC seems swayed by the teacher's comments.

Thank you! :D
Guest55

Re: Choices, choices ...

Post by Guest55 »

Go with what he wants - remember the teacher needs to get enough students or the option won't be viable.
eloise

Post by eloise »

Thank you, I did wonder if the teacher was trying to 'sell' the subject. However, 25 pupils took Latin last year so not an unhealthy number.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

The three humanities might not be needed but if your son enjoys them, why shouldn't he take them?

Is the Latin teacher truly concerned about your son or do you think he might be altruistically trying to get a certain number of children in his Latin set for GCSE?

It is always nice when someone praises you but your son needs to think about this carefully. Why wasn't Latin one of his original choices? What has changed? If it's just some bolstering words then is that enough?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

eloise wrote: However, at parents evening the Latin teacher said he thinks DC should take Latin....... he recently scored quite highly in a test and Latin looks good on CVs.

Has anyone got views on this?
Do the subjects DC is happiest with, they will be doing the work.

Oh and Latin teachers, from personal experience are blaggers. :lol:

DS1 is finding the time required to learn set texts off by heart, word and tense perfect, a pain. With hindsight...........
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

"At pius Aeneas, per noctem plurima volvens...."

I can still remember my O Level Latin text all these years later! :lol:
eloise

Post by eloise »

Thanks so much everyone. We are still in a quandary - DC doesn't prefer one to the other, in fact he isn't that keen on either but has to choose one of them. I feel Latin might be better otherwise there will be too many humanities on the final list, however, history could be a subject that may appeal over time whereas Latin could just get monotonous?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

TraffordMum wrote:"At pius Aeneas, per noctem plurima volvens...."

I can still remember my O Level Latin text all these years later! :lol:
Tallia iactanti stridens Aquilone procella vellum adversa fuit.

Blimey - how sad is that???? and I only got a C :lol: :lol:
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

And I bet, like me, you can't remember all sorts of important things, because your brain is stuffed up with useless chunks of Latin and Shakespeare. :lol:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would go for History, RS and Latin and drop Geography. My dd is desperate to do Latin and hopefully finally will get to do it in Y9. Does he have any idea what he might be interested in? Ask the Latin teacher where he is in the class and ask Geography teacher the same thing. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now