Of Mice and Men John Steinbeck GCSE English text

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Of Mice and Men John Steinbeck GCSE English text

Post by Amber »

ourmaminhavana wrote:...agree too that Steinbeck has written some seminal work. Personally, I think he's a great author, although obviously he's not my favourite:)
There hasn't been much of your man on the syllabus for a while either, ourmam. :(
JordanPayne

Post by JordanPayne »

Doing this in my exam tomorrow with The Crucible. I love the book and the film.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Good Luck. Let us know how you get on. What board are you doing? Edexcel? Two really meaty books to get scribbling about! DG
sj355

Post by sj355 »

dyslexichelpneeded wrote:My DD hates it- 'depressing and pointless' - but then you should hear her thoughts on the behaviour of Romeo and Juliet! I'm assured by my son's English teacher that boys usually like it. Perhaps there's a gender bias?
My DS loved of Mice and Men to the point of obsession, both the film and the book. He also thoroughly enjoyed taking his English Literature on it together with Jeckyl and Hyde.

As for Romeo and Juliet which he did in y10 there was not a single boy in his class (boy's school) who was not moved by both the book as well as the movie with Leonardo Di Caprio. The teacher very cleverly connected it with the rivarly between gangs and suddenly the whole thing was transported from the Elizabethian times to the here and now. British education at its best - paid back with an a* for the exam in this module. :)
sj355
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

[quote="Amber"]Not sure about Animal Farm...the political overtones are a bit lost on the current generation and I am not sure it is on any GCSE syllabus at present? I recommended this wholeheartedly as outside reading for a very able child who has not looked at me the same since.

Actually, it is on the AQA syllabus - DS1 sat the relevant paper this afternoon! He seems to be enjoying the book.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now