How many GCSE's for uni entrance?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Re: How many GCSE's for uni entrance?

Post by doodles »

Just play devil's advocate here if your DC decides not to go to Uni but to train in a job, do an apprenticeship etc etc, I don't know of a single employer who won't ask for at least Maths and English GCSE.

Won't this "on the job training" scenario become more and more the norm as student debt levels begin to spiral?
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

There are differing long/short term plans in our family about home ed :roll: at this point in time! English and Maths is non-negotiable as is science but the humanities take up a lot of written work and unless he has a burning desire to do them I would prefer he stuck with E, M, Sc, and languages however I'd prefer if he didn't sit GCSE's in most of them and moved straight onto A'level when ready as I feel it's a waste of learning time coaching for exams.

Fwiw, I can't see DS ever wanting to bea doctor but I don't want to burn that bridge! :wink:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Between 5 and 8. Someone somewhere along the line will want to (rightly or wrongly) measure your DS's attainment, be it for 6th form, uni or employment. Give him a foundation. If he's bright, hardworking and, in the future, contemplating A level study then half a dozen GCSE's should be no problem at all for him.

If he can't manage at least 5 then maybe academic study (required at A level and beyond) is not for him and a more vocational future awaits?

GCSE's are a measure WFG - a measure that students can be self disciplined and dedicated enough to work hard 'at something' if nothing else! It's not a case of 'wasting learning time' as you say but 'learning how to learn' and being rewarded for aquiring this ability! It's a trait most of us have had to evidence at some stage in our lives. Of course your son may be able to evidence such traits in other ways. :D

Good luck!
Waiting_For_Godot

Thanks G55 - what would I do without you! :D :shock:

I've always thought he was more inclined to vocational work. Not because of ability but just his personality. Time will tell... :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Belinda said the above - not me!
Waiting_For_Godot

Guest55 wrote:Belinda said the above - not me!
I am going mad! Belinda - what would I do without you?! :lol:

:lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Belinda said the above - not me!
I am going mad! Belinda - what would I do without you?! :lol:

:lol:
Each to their own. Just make sure your son is healthy and happy first!

You're right to mindful of the future WFG but maybe you're looking just a little bit too far ahead? How old is DS2? 11yrs? 12yrs? Jumping to GCSE's already is a bit... too much pressure for him - and you?

Given your (his?) educational history... I would focus first and foremost of enhancing your DS's good health and happiness; develop his confidence, self esteem and enjoyment of learning and education. Maybe let him be your guide for a little while and see what happens? Initially develop and encourage the traits he needs to be an independent learner first maybe?

Tread carefully - know what it is you are trying to achieve and why you are doing this. Don't lose the point of it all.
Best wishes. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now