GCSE Music taken outside of school?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sherry_d

Re: GCSE Music taken outside of school?

Post by sherry_d »

Sheisme wrote:Are there cheap ways of doing this?
No.

Even for IGCSE which is normally easily accessible for private candidates IGCSE Edexcel don't do a music. Cambridge do, but as it is one with a load of coursework, it has to be taken at a CIE approved teaching centre (not just a CIE exam centre) and that bumps up the cost.

Its almost impossible to take it as a GCSE unless you use a study centre or the conservatoires (which bumps up cost) because its based on classroom assessment, performing and composition.

The best way is what you are doing to pursue the school so they can moderate the assessments for your daughter.
Impossible is Nothing.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

I think it is odd not to be able to take triple science as well as music. It is often the same students who are good at both as well as maths. What a shame, I would keep trying and ask senior staff, head or even a governor and also ask to see if there are other pupils who would like to do the same.
Tree

Post by Tree »

I wonder if it might actually be easier to take the triple science module (assuming she can do the basic and additonal in school) as an external subject rather than the music, depending on the board i assume there would be a usually one off practical to do but surely should could do this in the school, she could be entered along twith the other triple science students and she could sit the exam having worked from revision guides at a pinch maybe supplemented with some private tuition, i think this would be easier than trying to do the gcse music externally as is about half and half course work.