GCSE grade boundaries - a couple of questions

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
neurotic kent mum

Re: GCSE grade boundaries - a couple of questions

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Thanks Belinda, all is clear now - we have been given the points awarded to the school and the grade but no indication of the mark - so now we need to find out from the school the mark. Thank you very much for clearing up this mystery.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Hi all

Gosh this has been busy while I wasn't looking. I think my DDs results were in UMS marks rather than raw scores. The grade boundaries I was looking at for AQA and Edexcel were raw scores, but I have found a different table with the UMS grade boudaries, which as someone has said are the same every year. The OCR one kindly has both on one table.

One more question: why would the maths (Edexcel Mathematics A Linear) just have a mark and no score?

Actually two: would the school give us the raw score as well if we asked (just out of interest)?
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Maths is linear so you just get the grade - ask the school for raw marks - most will be happy to supply them.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Thanks, it would just be for curiosity - we were thrilled with her maths given that it is something that has never come naturally.
scary mum
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

If not you can get a photocopy of the script - it should show the raw mark
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I have another question (sorry, this is all new to me and you are all experts :D ).

I am slowly digesting DD's results and realise that all of her science practical assessments ahave pulled her down as they are a large percentage of the total mark. I seem to remember some discussion when she did them (soon after moving schools) that she could re-do them but somehow it never happened (lack of motivation on DD's part as well as not realising how important it was), lack of awareness of the system on our part - very reminicent of DD going through the 11 plus process, we were so much more savvy 2nd and 3rd time around). Is it possible to retake the practical assessments at this stage? I suspect just a few more marks in each practical would result in A*s for each of the sciences. Is it worth it for this?

Thanks all you lovely people.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Coursework can be difficult to redo - many schools have seen coursework lowered as in A level last week.

I suspect the answer is no.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The science practical assessments are often marked quite low.. have seen quite high fliers get U's at A level - tends to make less impact than you might expect as the number of UMS it counts for are relatively small.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Belinda wrote:The points are all set in stone from the Dept of Education.
http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/per ... on2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it's still correct for 2012?

There's no in between points though is there? You can't get 54. :?
A* = 58, A = 52...
Those aren't in any way marks required to get the grade. Those are the points used when calculating the total GCSE results of schools for league tables.