What do the Russell Group have to say about GCSE's?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: What do the Russell Group have to say about GCSE's?

Post by scary mum »

Ours has re-introduced one compulosory MFL (which I approve of). Not sure about history/geography but will find out soon, no doubt.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

No mention of Ebacc in the lengthy pamphlet sent home for our Y9. :D One MFL already compulsory; no further compulsion other than the usual suspects (Maths, English x2, Science x3 or dual award).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I saw a Year Ten parent at the weekend and was amazed to find that their dc was not doing History or Geography and no comment had been made by the school and they were allow to go ahead without it. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Daogroupie - why should a student take Geog or History? They are optional and the Ebacc is an invention of Mr Gove with no statutory basis at all.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Guest55,

Because those two subjects are about so much of human existence, our development, why the world is as it is today, our Earth ....

Leaving out both History and Geography is like leaving out Maths and Physics, or quite possibly worse. And I speak as a Maths graduate.

That's why.

And that's also why the Govian eBacc prescription is a good idea, politics notwithstanding.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry - no they are not! They cover that in KS3 - look at the GCSE syllabus for each ...

What of Music, Art, Technology? Just as important to appreciate the world around us!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I know a couple of DS's friends who are taking: Maths(2), English(2), French, ICT, (all mandatory) and then Science(3), Latin, Music and RSS.

I think that is a well balanced set of options - it just doesn't fit Mr Goves "ideal"
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now