GCSE option help

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: GCSE option help

Post by mystery »

Or could read some a level course books closer to the time to see if it interests him.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Hi there. I've been trying to look into Ancient History gcse but I'm not finding anything useful to say if its considered soft? Well regarded? It's just that I know it's not needed if he were to then want to study this for A level so doubt is now creeping in. It seems only one exam board offer it (OCR) and not many schools so, anyone anywhere that can shed some light on this?
moved

Post by moved »

There is no reason to assume this is a soft option. Even if it were, it wouldn't matter. It is an essay based subject, which will help for all future essays.

Some subjects really aren't well regarded; some subjects are seen as easier than others, but frankly any beyond 8 are enrichment/light relief/fun!

2 English
2/3 sciences
Maths
MFL
a humanity
a creative/sport style

Subjects that I wouldn't have advised a high attaining child to take would be: child care, business studies, ICT (computing is fine), any highly vocational subject.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Gcse option form deadline is on Friday, Midget seems to have made his choices but why do I now feel nervous again? :lol:
I have asked the school for a subject breakdown for gcse's over the past few years, as two of his options(Ancient History and Computing) are fairly new, think both were only taught from 2010. I want to gain insight into how well they are taught. I think they are well taught, just looking for some reassurance in figures I suppose!
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

DS has his interview with the head in Thursday to go over their option choices, fingers crossed that he gets his choices and there isn't an issue :o
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

DS says Computing by far the easiest option he took and Business the hardest!
Also took German and Geography.

Guess it shows it depends on the DC! The workload for Computing seemed the lightest - probably why he enjoyed it :roll:
However he has not chosen it for GCE.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

secondtime wrote:DS says Computing by far the easiest option he took and Business the hardest!
Are you referring to IT when you speak of 'Computing' or do you mean Computer Science?
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

I am referring to a course called GCSE Computing (OCR Board). It is not ICT and has a couple of programming controlled assessments/exam. Only been available this year at school so I assume is still relatively new (I recall something about a pilot scheme?)

The original poster also said their Computing was new so I assume it is the same course.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

He's only doing Computing(OCR) along with his other academic subjects and is well taught. , guess children find different things easy/hard, probably dependent on whether they are are enjoying it, or like their teqcher :)

His final choices were indeed Modern History, Ancient History and Computing. Hoping he's got those but his backup options were Economics and Electronic Products.