GGSE Drama, how much will it help with English?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

GGSE Drama, how much will it help with English?

Post by Daogroupie »

My dd is likely to be heading for English at University. Would GCSE Drama help her? We are choosing between Latin, Drama and Geography for her last option. We were going for Geography or Latin but were wondering if GCSE Drama would help with English? DG
Kingfisher

Re: GGSE Drama, how much will it help with English?

Post by Kingfisher »

Drama is a good option but I would do the Latin, personally. I felt at such a disadvantage without it compared to others on my very traditional Uni course.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Well I have a little experience in this. My DS does drama and it has definitely helped his English. There has been a great deal of critical analysis and hotseating that not only has helped his written work but his public speaking and working through a text.
So far he hasnt done much 'acting' as I think the foundation of the course is much more of the above first.
Interestingly, recently he had a drama module in English hotseating, which was part of the final GCSE mark. He said he and the other Drama students all did really well as they had all had lots of practice obviously. It was a relief that he got through it comfortably as a lot of the students found it tough.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

My y11, doing Drama and Latin gcse's, and going to be doing English A level, says (I just asked her) that Drama has helped her far more than Latin over the last 18 months. So there you go :wink:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you so much all, this has been really really helpful. Can I just ask what board your schools use for GCSE drama? Kingfisher, I ended up having to leave my English uni course because I had to study Anglosaxon in the original and every single person on the course except for me had O level Latin. It should have been a prerequisite. So I really do want my dd to do Latin but we will probably do it privately and go with Drama at school. DG
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Yes, I struggled with the Anglo-Saxon as well. Your DD will enjoy Drama, I am sure. all the best.
Y

Post by Y »

Daogroupie wrote:Thank you so much all, this has been really really helpful. Can I just ask what board your schools use for GCSE drama? Kingfisher, I ended up having to leave my English uni course because I had to study Anglosaxon in the original and every single person on the course except for me had O level Latin. It should have been a prerequisite. So I really do want my dd to do Latin but we will probably do it privately and go with Drama at school. DG
Have you got a teacher lined up? In my experience, it is quite hard to find Latin teachers, but drama groups and clubs are pretty widespread. It might be nice to do the drama out of school - where it can be, if desired, exam free, but your DC can still learn the requisite skills - and keep the Latin to in school. Might be a lower-stress option?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I ended up having to leave my English uni course because I had to study Anglosaxon in the original and every single person on the course except for me had O level Latin
I sympathise, daogroupie. I deliberately selected my 5 university choices on the basis of not having to do this - although I did have a Latin O level and nearly did it for A level, I really, really didn't fancy original Anglo-Saxon... :lol:

I had Birmingham, Southampton, Warwick, Reading and Manchester so a decent enough group, I think. Is it worth getting your DD to look at specific courses at universities she might like to attend before she makes a final decision?
RationalityRules

Post by RationalityRules »

I second the OP who suggests doing Drama out of school. If she is planning to apply to universities offering the more traditional English degrees, Latin will be extremely useful.

Best of luck to her. RR
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you RR, the problem with Latin is that it is not a GCSE but is the Cambridge Level 2 certificate instead. I would like my dd to do it but unfortunately she is reluctant to end up with less GCSE's than her peer group. Silly I know but she wants to do well and does not want to forfeit a GCSE. We are thinking perhaps she could either do Latin privately or do the course at school and bump it up to GCSE. I would be very interested in anyones feedback on this.

Rob, I ended up LOVING Anglo Saxon, I can still recite the Wanderer, Seafarer and Dream of the Rood, I even wrote my own poem based on the Dream of the Rood. But as I did not have Latin it took me longer to do well in it and they had an exam at the end of the first term and all those who did not do well in that were dumped. I got great marks in June but it was not enough.

So I have always wanted my dd to do Latin especially as English is her thing as it was and is mine. Latin and Drama would be great but there is no room. DG