maths gcse websites

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moosh

maths gcse websites

Post by moosh »

DS is struggling in maths. He has brought home his recent test papers and there were a few questions that I just couldn't help him with (mostly algebra). Cant really afford a regular tutor. Another mum suggested I should find an on-line website and mentioned Conquer maths. Has anyone got experience of this or any other website for GCSE maths. We
used this website for 11plus and it was a godsend, is there anything similar for GCSE's. Thankyou :)
Guest55

Re: maths gcse websites

Post by Guest55 »

Does the school have MyMaths?

There are free websites which are useful, for example:

http://www.examsolutions.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

youtube has also got some good explanations.
KB

Post by KB »

Hi

Have you been in touch with the school?
They may have lunch time booster classes or 6th form mentors to help?
If algebra is a specific issue then there may be a member of staff that can spend a couple of sessions going over the basics?

Not disgreeing with previous comments about web resources at all- but if the school can't help (which they should!) then if you can access a good one (the school might have contacts if necessary) it might be worth thinking about a tutor for just a very few hours as it can make a massive difference. They can often suss out any underlying problems, increase confidence and suggest a way forward.

If you want to be more involved then there may be parent classes - have seen a few locally in the past that are aimed at getting parents up to speed wherr they are a bit rusty or not aware of modern approaches.

The good thing about maths is that it can be a few basics that need to be straigtened out and then the child really 'gets it'.

My DCs have SLDs so it may not be the same for all but we find that it helps to keep practicing once a skill is mastered so it gets really embedded.

One last thought! It may be possible to get a 6th former so to do some private tutoring. I know of a few very able A level students who have done this and charge much less than experienced tutors. Obviously there are issues to be considered but it might be worth invesitgating.
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

At my DS's primary school they used Mathletics, but it also covers from year 7 to gcse level. There is an annual subscription of £39, but is much cheaper if the school purchases for all their children. My year 8 daughter uses mymaths via school, but I also have subscription for Mathletics - probably just for this year, as she seems pretty confident with her maths.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now