They're here!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: They're here!

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:I bake during exam time. A full cake and biscuit tin seem to keep everyone going and calms me down..
I do this too! In fact I do it at the start of the school year as well, when they all go into new classes. I think it's some kind of instinct to feed one's young. On Sunday I baked stuff I used to like myself when I was a child/teenager. 3 different recipes in one afternoon! I find it calming too. Glad it's not just me. :D
I would be the size of a house if I did this, but it sounds very therapeutic. Any particularly good recipes to share? Mind you there's another thread like that somewhere.

I'm not sure if I like the sound of the new Pimms, but I might have to try it, just to see, you understand! Hic!
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

The ones I did on Sunday were a Norwegian apple cake- an interesting one using a hot milk and butter mix which you pour onto the eggs and sugar ( we have chickens so good fresh eggs here); something from my 'O' level cookbook called American muffins which are not anything like the sweet spongy things full of sugar they peddle now; and snickerdoodles from Nigella which weren't from my childhood but sounded nice and were. All were very well received. Best recipe ever is Cranks carrot cake and other best recipe ever is Parmesan biscuits which go wonderfully with the old Veuve Cliquot Scary. 8)

How can I get this back on topic?

Feed those kids girls!
moved

Post by moved »

I have to say that the rhubarb crumble, made with hazelnut flour, was totally yummy. Stress-free evening with a glass of wine now!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sounds like there are plenty of members of the "When the going gets tough, the tough start baking" club here
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

This is not a forum on which I should probably admit to reading Janet Evanovich, but this thread just reminds me of Stephanie Plum's mum, in times of stress: bake, iron and tipple!

My gcse stressed child demanded pizza last night - it was useful for revising moon phases and eclipses :lol:
ginx

Post by ginx »

I'm rubbish at cooking, but for some reason even I cook during exams. I tend to do all sweet things, though, because like my children I have a sweet tooth. :( They deserve treats though. Cakes, sweet puddings, biscuits, all going down well - I'm even letting my diabetic daughter have more treats than usual. After so many Sats, I think she deserves them. I would hate to be doing them.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

moved wrote:I have to say that the rhubarb crumble, made with hazelnut flour, was totally yummy. Stress-free evening with a glass of wine now!
That crumble sounds delicious. I think I'll try that this week.

We have had a chocolatey week - brownies, choc chip cookies, fudge cake, finished off with lemon puddings. About to rustle up banana loaves as there are some spotty bananas left in the fruit bowl. And that is sure to count as one of our 5-a-day. :D

I made breakfast muffins once (with bacon and something else) sounded yummy but were rejected by all. I also try to do proper breakfasts during exams.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Did laugh this afternoon when dd1 took a hard-earned break from revision ... sorry, drifted off into lala land there! did about 30 minutes of reading the chemistry syllabus, and then decided to make brownies. Asked her if she had been reading here! Blooming lovely brownies - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1223 ... r-brownies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Its going to be a good evening today - we can finally put "Of Mice and Men" in the wood burner!!
Its a real shame because I actually like the book and so did DD2 before the english GCSE syllabus ruined it!
It will be closely followed by "An Inspector Calls" for which no tears will be shed by either of us - turgid, dated and done to death by the dead hand of AQA!!
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Dd1 is doing igcse Lit today - has had The Great Gatsby and Julius Caesar, both of which she has adored which has been lovely :-) She's not so keen on the poetry!