GCSE English Language failed

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: GCSE English Language failed

Post by mystery »

Is English as a Second Language an issue here? And who wrote the opening message - the parent or the child?

I would think it is very important that the 16 year old concerned does get themselves up to at least a Grade C in English Language - preferably better. What are they doing now beyond 16 and what are their future education and career intentions? How were the other GCSEs?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

supertrex has explained in an earlier post that it his ( her?) son, Mystery

I agree that it is important to have a at least grade c in GCSE , personally speaking I think the GCSe qould be preferable , especially if supertrex's son is going to stay and study in this country. The mark was very close
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The breakdown of marks between the components should be on the results sheet.

If coursework and speaking and listening marks are above C then there is no need to re do them. I would recommend an early retake as the other exams will get in the way next summer.
Last edited by Guest55 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

yoyo123 wrote:supertrex has explained in an earlier post that it his ( her?) son, Mystery

I agree that it is important to have a at least grade c in GCSE , personally speaking I think the GCSe qould be preferable , especially if supertrex's son is going to stay and study in this country. The mark was very close
yoyo123 wrote:supertrex has explained in an earlier post that it his ( her?) son, Mystery

Yes I know that Supertrex has explained that it is her son that has failed the GCSE. But I am asking who wrote that post - the parent or the son. That isn't clear - but I had reasons for asking. :). One being that one out of three posts from supertrex is written in a different style from the other two. The other reasons I will keep to myself until I know the answer.

I would say that it isn't just the fact that a grade d is incredibly low and not going to impress anyone that needs remedying, but that it probably means, forthright as this sounds, that your son needs to learn to write English well. Otherwise he will compomise his grades in other subjects too. There could be some barriers to this e.g. Poor English teacher at the school, English as an additional language or some kind if specific learning difficulty.

What a levels is he doing? Was the d unexpected? What were his weak areas which could have led to the d grade? Could it be a marking error of some sort?