Baccalaureatte

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

future

Baccalaureatte

Post by future »

I'm sure with so many well informed members on here, someone will be able to exlain in layman's terms what this means for my DD in the next few years. She is going through 11+ now and I undestand IB will be of great relevance to her in secondary education. With league tables for schools, there is also a score for this so an understanding on my part would be extremely useful.Many thanks in advance.
Reading Mum

Re: International Baccalaureatte

Post by Reading Mum »

I think you are confusing the EBacc with the IB

The EBacc is a measure of whether you got 5 good GCSEs inc English, Maths, a language(?). This is purely a measure for league tables and has no relevance to your daughter.

The IB is an alternative to A levels so is a very long way off. Some schools offer A levels, some offer IB (less common that A levels) and some do both.
future

Post by future »

Thank you - I assume a school with a higher percentage Baccalaureatte is a better performing school in terms on acadmic achievements?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Not necessarily. Just depends how strict the school is on ensuring that students do the subjects need for it.

EBacc is English, maths, a science, a language and either geography or history.

DDs school have them do English, maths, all three sciences, a language and one of history, geography or RE, plus some others.

Those taking RE rather than history or geography won't count as getting the EBacc. If they took away the choice of RE then they would all get it, but then possibly wouldn't have the choice of RE.

I know which I prefer.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now