Is that it?...

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kiwimum

Is that it?...

Post by Kiwimum »

Really proud of dd1 after all her hard work and good results in GCSE's but she was given her results (as I'm sure all students were) on a piece of school letter head paper, in fact her maths result was on a blank piece of paper as it was sat earlier in the year. At the bottom of the pages it says 'All results are provisional'. Do they get their results in a more official looking format later (a gold edged certificate perhaps??!!) or is that it?
Amber

Re: Is that it?...

Post by Amber »

As I recall DD did get some kind of certificate several months after the event. (Note to self: maybe try to locate this before it is needed in anger).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There is some more fancy certificate produced. Some schools give them out at an awards evening, particularly if they have gone on elsewhere for 6th form - the kids like to get back together.

I think in fact the DS's GS kept all the certs together until they finally left and handed them over in one go. He was already at university when they were collected so doesn't sound as though they need them that much - probably more likely in several years time.
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

Thanks Amber... you mean it's not framed and hanging in pride of place above the mantelpiece?!

Thank you herman, my worry now is we moved in the school holidays and dd goes to another school for sixth form - what are the chances we will ever see that certificate? Oh well, at least they let her into sixth form with her bits of paper!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

worth contacting the old school to check what they are doing.

Have just done a quick browse of schools and they had the awards evenings last year between early November and mid January. If kids can't get to one of the sessions then they hang on to the certificates until they are picked up.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It is worth keeping the certificates - I have had certain employers ask for them. It is a challenge finding them in my ancient filing cabinet.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:It is worth keeping the certificates - I have had certain employers ask for them. It is a challenge finding them in my ancient filing cabinet.
You mean trophy cabinet, surely mystery? Little point in breeding if you're not going to force visitors to the house to admire all the spoils of one's offspring's talents across musical, sporting and academic spheres from a young age (ideally birth). I still fondly gaze on the genuine plastic 'Best attitude ' trophy DD got at a soccer camp, every second of which she had detested.

Kiwimum- DD also moved schools for sixth form. The old school emailed her and asked her to go and pick up the certificate. Happily (for the Amber Clan dislikes such events passionately) there was no awards evening to sit through to get the thing- a simple visit to the office sufficed, and I didn't have to worry about what to wear.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The certificates won't be sent out yet as results are still provisional until re-marks are back.

I think they normally arrive in November.

Replacements cost £60+ so keep them safe!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't remember DD getting any and neither does she!
scary mum
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Definitely keep them in a safe place. I had to dig mine out for an employer a few months back a fairly staggering 37 years after taking my Maths O-level. Yes, I still know where they are! Can't find my glasses though...and the nurses are stealing my clothes...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now