News on GCSEs

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ahap

News on GCSEs

Post by ahap »

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22841266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
aliportico

Re: News on GCSEs

Post by aliportico »

Maths will promote the idea of developing independent problem-solving skills, rather than setting types of questions that can be rehearsed.
This I found odd, because I think the gcse exams are pretty good at this - several 'real world' questions, and the asterisk ones. And then you get to A level, and the papers are "solve one of these problems, then one of these, one of these .... " etc - much more straightforward!

Sloppy article though - the new exams will move away from unit exams throughout? Er, that's already happened.

Shame about History losing its controlled assessment - surely one of the main points about history is being able to do research?

Ugh, the whole thing just drives me mad, Gove's such an a r s e. Not everyone has a brilliant memory. A brilliant memory is not necessary to be perfectly successful in many areas. Why not give children a chance to actually show what they're good at, rather than measuring them against Gove's idyllic *rolls eyes* childhood?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Our students already read a whole Shakespeare play, Romeo and Juliet, which they also go and see performed. They also read Great Expectations written in the 19th century so I do not know what is going to be different there. Maths and Science are already full of real world problems so no change there either. DG
KB

Post by KB »

Essay type exams at the end of 2 years will suit a particular type of child but I am not convinced it will encourage the teaching of useful skills to the majority.

The Cambridge IGCSEs already provide for this type of course and examination system and could be used by the highly academic minority who want a better prep for A level.
Most children will not progress to further academic study in most if any subjects so it is much more helpful to give them practical skills that they can use going forward - like assessing source material in History and reviewing media in English.
For many the demands of long essay type questions may stop them from being able to express what they do know. Going into adulthood surely it is more helpful for the population as a whole to be able to think through ideas that are being presented to them - by politicians, the press, TV or books - than write a formal essay about it.

My concern is that the new system will alienate a large proportion of children from the education and examination system.
There have been issues with course work and constant re-sitting of modules but this brings to mind the 'baby and bath water' scenario.
As previous posters have argued there is plenty in the current system that already fulfils what the 'new' is being brought in to deliver.
Smacks of Gove wanting to go down in history as a great educational reformer?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Grrrrr. That's all I have to say. Other than I can't really believe that children only read chunks of books. What an odd way to go about things.
scary mum
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I know it's "what's in a name?" but the fact that Wales and Northern Ireland are not changing from the current format but this is imposed on the children in England is also bizarre. First it was going to be the O level (Gove level), then the EBC and now apparently the GCSE (England).

I have a DC in Year 7 and I'm worried about how this first year will find this new type of test. Also, what about the remaining children in Years 8 - 11 who are sitting what is obviously not a well respected exam (in government circles)?

Why are we testing children nationally at 16 anyway? Other countries, notably Finland, do not. The school leaving age is not until 18 now so this seems a redundant exam, especially if it will alienate many children.

We live in a selective county (Bucks) so this could also have a big (negative) impact on the results from non-selective schools since this old O-Level type exam is obviously geared more towards more academically able children.

Something had to be done to GCSEs but I do worry there will be a transition few years when there will be some major problems to iron out.
KB

Post by KB »

Lillie - I think the best that can be hoped is that if/when it all goes pear shaped there will be such a fuss in the media that everyone will be aware it was a dodgy year.
In many ways those being guinea pigs for the A level changes are in a more precarious position because University places are decided so promptly after results are out.
I feel sorry for current year 12 because they had already started their A level courses before the abolition of Jan modules was announced (from next year).

Perhaps GCSE grades will be of more importance when Universities no longer have As results to go by but that seems a shame for those who 'get it together' post 16. I know that many Universities still look at GCSE grades but at least any poor performance can be mitigated by great AS results.
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

KB wrote:Lillie - I think the best that can be hoped is that if/when it all goes pear shaped there will be such a fuss in the media that everyone will be aware it was a dodgy year.
In many ways those being guinea pigs for the A level changes are in a more precarious position because University places are decided so promptly after results are out.
I feel sorry for current year 12 because they had already started their A level courses before the abolition of Jan modules was announced (from next year).

Perhaps GCSE grades will be of more importance when Universities no longer have As results to go by but that seems a shame for those who 'get it together' post 16. I know that many Universities still look at GCSE grades but at least any poor performance can be mitigated by great AS results.
Don't forget to feel sorry for the current Year 1O because they also have had their course changed halfway through, when taking the GCSE IN English! Gove has decided to scrap the 'speaking' portion and not include a mark towards the end result (only a mention of it, to be printed on the actual certificate). The GCSE will also be marked now as a whole cohort from top down. That is to say start from the top mark and only give out a certain number of A*, A, B etc. grades. I keep hoping for my DD that she is part of a dumb cohort, so she stands a better chance of being near the top. :lol:
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

aliportico wrote:
Maths will promote the idea of developing independent problem-solving skills, rather than setting types of questions that can be rehearsed.
This I found odd, because I think the gcse exams are pretty good at this - several 'real world' questions, and the asterisk ones. And then you get to A level, and the papers are "solve one of these problems, then one of these, one of these .... " etc - much more straightforward!

Sloppy article though - the new exams will move away from unit exams throughout? Er, that's already happened.

Shame about History losing its controlled assessment - surely one of the main points about history is being able to do research?

Ugh, the whole thing just drives me mad, Gove's such an a r s e. Not everyone has a brilliant memory. A brilliant memory is not necessary to be perfectly successful in many areas. Why not give children a chance to actually show what they're good at, rather than measuring them against Gove's idyllic *rolls eyes* childhood?
Unit exams I believe are still done in within Science in my DD's school.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I'm not holding my breath. Gove has been known to do a u turn or two.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now