Is this normal practice?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
magwich2

Re: Is this normal practice?

Post by magwich2 »

This is exactly what happened at DDs' schools in MFL and english. DD1 nearly lost marks for describing our blue cats with orange eyes - teacher gently reminded her of the spanish words for different colours but was finally convinced of the eye colour of British Blue cats!!
Also explains why less informed family who had a completely bilingual DD ended up with her getting an A rather than the A* she deserved.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I invigilate speaking exams - I sit outside with the pupils waiting to go and do their speaking exams. They are always terrified, it's the worry about being recorded.

They have "thirty word sheets" where they can write down thirty words to prompt them what to say. The teacher obviously tells them, as they all write the same thing. The girls sometimes draw pictures to prompt them.

Most students are happy to do their presentation, it's being asked questions that's hard. At the comp, the teacher usually gives the student the grade straight away and usually suggests a pupil can improve, and try again next term.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

This is the system exactly - I have DC who have taken GCSE French at 2 different schools GS and comp and they have all done the same. It was a shock to me the first time round. DS did his last week and was told: "I thought that was going to be an A/A* at first! But you haven't learnt the last paragraphs. Learn it for next week!" So to his dismay he has another controlled assessment just before Christmas.
mystery wrote:I wouldn't necessarily. I did French o level in the very early 1980s. There were 100 possible questions that could be asked in the oral. We wrote out answers beforehand, the teachers commented on them, and we learned them by heart.
Our school wasn't as clued up as that, but you're right. Although the examiner was a stranger they generally asked about your family, favourite subjects, sports etc, so it could have been prepared - but our school didn't tell us that. I remember sitting mute after being asked to described the examiner's clothes. She was wearing a flowery shirt and a tweed skirt!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

wonderwoman wrote:Our school wasn't as clued up as that, but you're right. Although the examiner was a stranger they generally asked about your family, favourite subjects, sports etc, so it could have been prepared - but our school didn't tell us that. I remember sitting mute after being asked to described the examiner's clothes. She was wearing a flowery shirt and a tweed skirt!
Well, at least you had the common sense not to say "vous regardez terribles"....(Apologies Amber - I gave up French in the second year so this may not be correct!!)
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Can I ask if anyone knows if this is going on at Gloucester High School for Girls, Stroud High and Pates? If anyone knows one way or the other for these schools I would be really grateful. Many thanks.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is how the Controlled Assessment part of the GCSEs works. Every student in every school is given the question in advance. How the school and student responds to this is different. My dd did not come home and write out a perfect answer and learn it off by heart. She went in and created her answer in the session which was the original idea. However she told me that all around her were students writing furiously the whole time who actually finished in the first session. They did not need the three sessions as they were not creating their answer but merely pasting out the version written at home using the internet and access to essays written by others. The school cannot stop them doing that. It is a flaw in the design. They could post the question on the internet and pay a University or Post Graduate student to write it for them. It is however clear that some schools do provide "extra" help. Our school does not but we know a lot of schools that do. DG
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

For as long as a teacher's pay and promotion prospects depend on their results this ridiculous situation will continue.
Amber

Post by Amber »

littlebaker wrote:Can I ask if anyone knows if this is going on at Gloucester High School for Girls, Stroud High and Pates? If anyone knows one way or the other for these schools I would be really grateful. Many thanks.
Yes it is 'going on' because this is the system.

I've taught MFL to pupils of two of these schools and like all other schools they adhered to the procedures laid down; these involved giving out the questions in advance and practising them over and over. I don't think you will find a school where it doesn't happen and if you do then the pupils are likely to be at a relative disadvantage. Sad but true.
mystery

Post by mystery »

magwich2 wrote:For as long as a teacher's pay and promotion prospects depend on their results this ridiculous situation will continue.
That was not the case in our school in the early 1980s and the teachers still did it.

The hard fact is that if the system is flawed leaving loopholes for legitimate "cheating" you are cheating your pupils out of a higher grade by not doing so. High grades at 16 are useful to the pupils, not just teachers on prp.

Anyhow, prp hasn't even come in yet has it?

The other option is to call it the modern languages memory test. Everyone could be given some French literature to write out, recite and translate. It could still be beneficial!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

IGCSE MFL didn't used to have any coursework or the listening and speaking element. It was all exam paper based that was until the may sitting when they also introduced the oral speaking and listening.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now