Is this normal practice?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JSN

Re: Is this normal practice?

Post by JSN »

sherry_d wrote:IGCSE MFL didn't used to have any coursework or the listening and speaking element. It was all exam paper based that was until the may sitting when they also introduced the oral speaking and listening.
what board is that , I showed my son this thread(not very good at Spanish) to reassured him what a farce MFL are he was happy as Larry!!-what % are the speaking and listening of the total of iGCSE ? speaking!!! he can barely speak English mostly grunts :lol:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I tried to teach French again a little over a year ago and found the system far too stressful.

I have recently started working as an LSA again and I support in several language lessons. I have to say that in the past five weeks (excluding the Christmas hols) I haven't seen ANY formal teaching. All year groups have been preparing for speaking and writing, which has included marking every mistake and giving the pupils redrafting and revision time, and we're not even talking Year 11! They don't always know how to revise though so I've been helping them with that. I think it's sad that so much time is devoted to meaningless end-of-term tests with the pupils still unable to string together a simple sentence.
jemima

Post by jemima »

I tried to get my DD to 'practice' her French set questions but she always wanted to speak freely. She arranged 5 trips to France in year 12/13 alongside our holiday there. She speaks fluent French but then so did her native French classsmate/ speakers. (both Got A's not A*s)
Having to think through her rationale for 'The death sentence in France' did refine her skills and she did well. At Oxford now studying Law, but will always treasure her language learning - wishes she'd got the A* but heigh ho. The ultimate prize is that she speaks fluent French and has a realisation that success is not always mirrored in exam results.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I don't think I've ever met a non-native speaker who wanted to speak without practising.