Dropping a GCSE in year 11

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Have-A-Go-Mum

Dropping a GCSE in year 11

Post by Have-A-Go-Mum »

Deleted personal details - query relates to dropping a non-core subject in year 11.
Last edited by Have-A-Go-Mum on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amber

Re: Dropping a GCSE in year 11

Post by Amber »

What subject is it?

Universities only care about 8 GCSEs.
Have-A-Go-Mum

Post by Have-A-Go-Mum »

economics
Amber

Post by Amber »

Not well-regarded at GCSE.

The school my sons go to have this year allowed the option of one fewer GCSEs (9 instead of 10) if boys want to concentrate their minds on fewer subjects. This is a grammar school in a super-selective area, and I reckon if they think 9 is OK then it is OK. A very well thought-of girls' independent school allows only 8 (and only dual science to boot!); I know of several girls from there who have just started at Russell group universities, and are studying everything from Law to Medicine. The number doesn't matter and no one is going to cry over a lack of Economics GCSE. But the school might say they have timetable issues which may end up being your sticking point.

You might just say it is character-building for him to stick with it and prove he can do it - if he is on top grades for everything else he could afford to throw himself at it?
Have-A-Go-Mum

Post by Have-A-Go-Mum »

Thank you Amber - this is reassuring to know that it is not necessarily valued at Russell Group Uni
Last edited by Have-A-Go-Mum on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most schools will listen to a request to drop a subject. He may have to attend the lessons but could be allowed to do other work.
Amber

Post by Amber »

My advice would be to hand this over to him to deal with. He can speak to teachers and make a decision for himself now. Your role is to support, not to decide for him - the sooner children do this kind of thing for themselves the better; and the added bonus is you can't get the blame! Good luck. :D
Have-A-Go-Mum

Post by Have-A-Go-Mum »

Last edited by Have-A-Go-Mum on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I wouldn't advise just not turning up for the exam. You would need to get the school to disapply him from the exam, otherwise he is at risk of scoring a U (unclassified). I would speak to the teacher - if he really is terrible at it, they may be quite happy to let him drop it. You may find that everyone else is more terrible than him! It may be that he is scoring a D and with very little effort could get up to a respectable C?

Certainly, if his other GCSEs are as strong as you say, it shouldn't make a jot of difference to University applications. (I am a professional Careers Adviser, btw!)
Have-A-Go-Mum

Post by Have-A-Go-Mum »

I would not be making any decision for my child Amber, only talking through potential options
Last edited by Have-A-Go-Mum on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.