Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
3b1g

Anyone up for a GCSE options thread?

Post by 3b1g »

DS1 will be choosing in February.

He has to do the usual seven: Maths, English x2, Science x3, MFL

Then one from History or Geography: he'll do History.

Then two others from an extensive list, most of which are creative or practical subjects that he has no interest or aptitude in. One will be Classical Civilisation (he loves it and will be good at it). The other? Who knows? What's left is Geography (hates it), RS (hates it), Latin (finds it difficult) or Economics (100% of mark is one exam).
magwich2

Re: Anyone up for a GCSE options thread?

Post by magwich2 »

If he is any good at maths he could study privately for Statistics with the school's help with coursework (not an especial challenge!). This would get him another gcse with not much effort.
new2me

Post by new2me »

Had this same conversation with my DS. He wants to study both history and geography so has only one choice to make. His first suggestion was to take drama, with music as a reserve. I mentioned the issue of the 7% A*A for the subject at his school and he swapped drama for music. I suggested that since so much of the music exam mark was based on performance he might need to start practising his violin every night. The sheer horror on his face was a joy to watch. He's now looking at the new computer science GCSE. Has you DS considered it?
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

The Statistics is a nice idea but he'll already be doing ten GCSEs which I think is enough. If he could choose it as his tenth then I would encourage him to do so, but this isn't an option.

The school offers ICT or Computing. DS2 is very able at ICT and I'm encouraging him to find out about coding as I think he's enjoy it. DS1 hates ICT and would have no aptitude for Computing. <sigh>

The subjects DS1 enjoys and is good at are Maths, Sciences, History. But he will already be doing all of these.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Think it's hard choosing GCSE's? Wait till they move on to A level choices (not to mention which sixth firm they want to go to) :lol:

Oh, and just to keep it interesting dd's also researching potential unis and courses now too, she doesn't start sixth form till September :roll:

Good luck with the choices.
KB

Post by KB »

Economics GCSE is generally seen as pretty easy option for academic children so if DC is already taking sufficient strong academic subjects it could be an idea worth looking into. Advantage of one exam at the end is it reduces the constant pressure. Being good at History could mean they will pick up Economics quite easily at this level?
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I think he would find Economics interesting and achievable (good at Maths & History, obsessed with The Apprentice) but 100% marks from one exam seems like more pressure. What if he's having a bad day?

We currently have a consensus, although this may change several times before the deadline:
1. Classical Civilisation
2. Latin
3. Economics
4. RS

Hopefully he'll get two out of the top three, anyway.
KB

Post by KB »

If he is already finding Latin hard I would avoid it.
It is a hard GCSE and many who get A* in other subjects don't manage it with Latin.
If he is well prepared for the Economics exam then even if he has a 'bad' day it should be a question of dropping a few marks rather than a few grades - as long as he is properly prepared.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

KB: I agree with you. He hasn't even got to the end of Book 2 of the Cambridge Latin Course, and already his translations are based more on guesswork than on confident knowledge of vocabulary & grammar. We have an options evening in a couple of weeks; hopefully the Latin teacher will give him a reality check.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

We received the options booklet today and there are a few changes from previous years: no Economics, and RS has been renamed as Philosophy & Ethics.

I have been through his Latin book to have a look at how he has been getting on, and it's better than I thought. Nothing below a B. Last report implies that he'll be a 7C/7B in Latin by the end of Y9.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now