Anyone up for a GCSE options thread?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Re: Anyone up for a GCSE options thread?

Post by Minesatea »

DS has recently done his geography controlled assessment. There was no field trip or group work involved. He had to record all the journeys made by family members over 2 or 3 weeks and the fuel efficiency of our house. And then analyse and suggest ways we could be more enviromently friendly. Apart from getting us to record everywhere we went and how, it was entirely done at school.
copella

Post by copella »

My DS has also just completed his controlled assessment. They went to Westfield and had a great time then wrote about it from what I could see. He told me they were trying to spot footballers all day and going in the designer shops. Nothing too strenuous.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Westfield! Now that's my kind of GCSE course! :D

I've just checked his GCSE options booklet thing and it says 25% is local fieldwork investigation, carried out during a residential field trip at the end of year 10. The write up is carried up entirely in school time and I know this component is a particular strength of the school.

We have a parents evening to discuss individual subjects with teachers and DC together so I will see what the geography teacher says. Part of my concern is that DS gets on very well with his current geography teacher, she has really inspired him, but if he has a different teacher for GCSE, I don't know how this will affect his enthusiasm for the subject.

Anyway, thanks for the input!
KB

Post by KB »

Might be worth checking the cost of the residential in advance? Though it sounds great!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now