Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GCSE Tutors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:21 am 

Hi, everyone
I was wondering if anyone could recommend GCSE tutors for the following subjects:
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
English
Spanish

Thanks

Post subject: Re: GCSE Tutors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:39 am 

Are you looking for online tutors??? Because you haven't said where you are.... I know a good Science tutor, if you're in Reading.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:02 pm 

That's a lot of tutors. Have you spoken to the school to see if they can give pointers or support? There is also a lot online which is free and just as good as a tutor. Not so sure about Spanish but take a look at mygcsescience.com, Hegartymaths and Mr Bruff for English, all extremely helpful. With GCSEs the best results come from doing as many past papers as possible and liaising with school to make sure you are covering the correct syllabus. I think nearly all schools also offer additional classes as well to support pupils at all ranges. Good luck. I say this with a DS doing his in the next few months and it is really worrying as you want them to do well, but they have to put the effort in which can be very frustrating, when you pop up to see how they are doing and they're on a mobile :cry: have a look at the websites though and see if they can help before spending money on tutors.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:14 pm 

Thanks for your replies guys,
and no we are not looking for online tutors. Could you give me more details on the tutor in Reading TigerMum, thanks. We will also look into all online websites before we choose the tutors.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:17 pm 

All good schools have an extensive range of revision support so do look at that first. Make sure any tutor knows the 'gaps' and the correct syllabus.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:22 pm 

Situation must be extreme to consider tutors at GCSE stage or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:08 pm 

sbarnes wrote:
Situation must be extreme to consider tutors at GCSE stage or am I missing something?
Yes, I think my first port of call in such an extreme situation would be the school. This many tutors would take up a lot of a child's time as well as a lot of a parent's money. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:31 pm 

If I was using that many I think I would home school!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:16 am 

Someone asked me the other day if I could recommend a GCSE tutor. When I asked which subject, she replied "all of them"! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:47 am 

Marylou wrote:
Someone asked me the other day if I could recommend a GCSE tutor. When I asked which subject, she replied "all of them"! :shock:

I am rather hoping we are not talking selective school pupil here?? Although I know that the GS pupil son of a rather annoying neighbour of ours was being tutored for GCSE maths a few years back as I used to swim with the maths tutor concerned. No doubt the lad had done awfully well in the VR paper.