GCSE Geography or GCSE PE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
secondtime

GCSE Geography or GCSE PE

Post by secondtime »

Found it useful when DS1 did options to get independent views - so here goes with DS2:

Has already decided to choose History, German and French (both Maths, English, 3 sciences, RE compulsory).

Can't decide on last subject - PE or Geography?

He is generally great at most subjects and enjoys both.

I wonder if Geography would be hard - given all other options and think PE may give him a different 'style' of subject.
On other side of coin, A* s seem harder to achieve in PE.

Any advice/experience of these?
kenyancowgirl

Re: GCSE Geography or GCSE PE

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Our school is all boys but won't offer PE at GCSE as they do not consider it worthwhile - they have only recently started offering it at A level. I am not a big fan, tbh, as I think lots of dc think it is about playing sport and are quite surprised at the amount of science involved and that it is about leadership and organising events - it seems to me that it has quite a large element that relies on other people and I think I would rather my dc take subjects where they are responsible for their own work and ultimate grade, if that makes sense. However, if he wants a lighter subject, then PE is certainly that as compared with Geography which is a very well respected academic subject.
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

A couple of things to bear in mind - does DS2 know or have any idea of what they wish to consider following for AS/A Level or University - or even as a career?

With regards to PE, have a look at which board they are likely to be taking as this has an impact on the number of sports they need to be assessed in. My own DS was assessed in 4 different sports and in one of them - athletics 3 different disciplines! They don't have to play all the sports, they can be assessed as officials in the sport.

My own DS1 took Geography and PE and is carrying them on into A level - loving both of them and finding them both easy to study but not necessarily easy options - however - they are relevant to his future career plans!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Both Geography and PE made the final cut here too! :D
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now